Wednesday, November 10, 2010

One More Get Up

Tomorrow is Veteran's Day aka Armistice Day. When I slid into work Monday morning, I had forgotten we have Thursday off but suddenly the week was looking instantly better.  I love having a day off in the middle of the week. Yesterday, I went on Mapquest looking for a day trip somewhere but all roads led to worse weather than we have here.  I looked at Leavenworth, WA but there is snow on the pass to get there.  Snow? How can that be?  Lewiston, Idaho is only going to be 41 degrees at the warmest part of the day.

Cricut
Might as well stay home and watch a movie.  Or maybe I should get out my Cricut and check it out?  I bought it this summer and it has been sitting in the box ever since.

Regardless of what I do tomorrow, I'm really glad it's Veteran's Day.  And, I'm glad there is a day we get to remember the Vets in our lives.  I have lots of them. My dad was in the Navy, Uncle Archie was in the Navy, Uncle Al too, I think? I don't know if my Grandpa Clark was in the service but Grandma Clark was involved with the Mothers of Veterans of Foreign Wars. My cousin Pam's husband, Dan, was a Marine. My cousin, Greg, was in the military but truthfully, I don't know which branch, probably a Marine. I do know he served in Vietnam.  When I lived in Yuma, Arizona, I had countless friends at work who's husbands are Marines and many of the police officers I came in contact with at the county attorney's office are veterans.  Some of them were called to serve in Iraq and some them volunteered to serve .. more than once.

I remember Officer Vidrio who came to my desk one day and said "Susan, I'll see you ... in about a year".  He is the first person I had ever known who was going off to war in Iraq. I got a sinking feeling in my stomach and had to step away from my desk for a short cry. I still have that feeling today, just thinking about it. It was the first time in my entire life that war became real to me.  He came back.  And so did all my friend's husbands. So far.  One of my attorney friend's brother came back but he died later. He had been hit with shrapnel and had to wear a helmet 24/7 to keep his skull together, and then doctors decided to do surgery.  He died during the procedure.  He was a hometown hero.

I know I'll be thinking about my dad tomorrow and all the veterans who I've crossed paths with.  And, I'll enjoy the day that has been given to me.   love, Susan

2 comments:

  1. I have to ask, what is a Cricut? What you show pictured there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a computerized cutting machine. It makes cut outs. You can get different cartridges for it. I need to get it out and use it. I'll make a card for you and then you'll see what I mean.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...