Saturday, November 20, 2010

Love is a Verb

We are up early this morning as we're going to help set up banquet tables for the 23rd Annual Gratitude Banquet. We haven't been to it since we moved here but we've got tickets for tonight.  It seats 500 people and we know a fair share of them.  So what's on my mind this morning is gratitude, unity, purpose, love, service. I feel the need to break it down before I leave my house this morning. There will be a lot of personalities showing up to set up and I am shooting for a great experience. We're meeting at Starbucks before we go to the church for set up at 8:00 a.m. I'm really excited about it!

Gratitude:  I'm so grateful for this life of mine. Sometimes I forget how bad it was just 10 years ago. While I don't dwell on the past, I don't wish to shut the door on it as my experience can and has helped others.

Unity: I learned about this a long time ago from a good friend in Yuma. Suit up & show up and see what happens. My best experiences have happened when I didn't want to say yes but I did anyway and I got the prize!  Friendship, understanding, love, a true sense of belonging ~ all things I yearn for.

Purpose:  I have this little prayer & meditation practice that my good friend, Cindy, gave me a long time ago. I don't read it every day but when I get the squirrels running around in my head, I pull out this sheet of paper that reminds me to sit for a quiet moment in the morning and one of the questions I am to ask is: What is my purpose?  How can I enhance my usefulness to others today?  I ask that my thinking be divorced from selfishness, self-seeking, self-pity, resentment, fear, dishonesty and from thinking wrong motives.  It works.

Love:  That's what it's all about.

Service:  I never am a better person than when I'm doing service work. 


Having said all of that, I'm taking my coffee cup and heading out the door to see what happens today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...