Thursday, April 9, 2015

Heartspace (A to Z Blogging Challenge)


I'm short on time today so borrowed from my archives this post I wrote in November 2014, originally titled Do Nothing.  Today I'm feeling behind and pressed for time. I hope you'll read something here that helps your heart today.

from the archives

Hang on.  Or let go.

Thank you to my friend for giving me a topic to write about this morning. I've been feeling brain dead the last couple of weeks. I know there are ideas somewhere in my mind but lately I 've been working so hard that all I am doing is simply surviving. It's a temporary situation, thankfully.
 
She is not my only friend who is struggling with decisions. When I look around me, there are decisions taking place about gut wrenching, real-life stuff and it has affected my heart space. Tears have been shed for my friends. Major medical issues, relationships, plumbing problems, employment difficulties. You name it, my friends are experiencing it.  On Sunday I had a real breakthrough when I realized that I've been where all my friends are right now, in those awful transitional places that are hard, super hard and seem like the most horrible situations for them. I've been struggling and feeling their pain and the truth is that its all about the growing pains. Theirs and mine.
 
I've had all the above mentioned situations and then some. I often wonder when the other shoe is going to drop now because my life has been on smooth for so long. One thing I know for sure, it will drop. How I handle it is different than how I used to handle crisis.
 
G-d, grant me the serenity to accept the things
 I cannot change, the courage to change the things
 I can, and the wisdom to know the difference
 
I like this prayer. I use it often as a filter for things going on in my life that are out of control or where I need clarification for what to do next. Sometimes, doing nothing is the action I need to take.
 
I'm going to leave it at that for now. Think about it.  Have you ever just done nothing, slept on it, decided to not decide, etc.?
 
love, susan

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Serenity Prayer! It's such sage advice. And I've relied on it oh so many times. Sometimes doing nothing is all that is required because sometimes when everything seems to be falling apart, it's really just everything falling into place. That's a powerful realization too... Good post Susan!
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like that a lot. Thank you for sharing that we are not alone in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like WAITING....which is not inactive. Stopping by during the #Challenge. Fun isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS like waiting, EXACTLY!!!! Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  4. I have a hard time with these phases and always try to force things when really, waiting and pondering and DOING nothing is what's called for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. It has taken me a long time to practice doing nothing ... when my first response is "we GOTTA do something about this". Oh my gosh, how many times have things just either fixed themselves, or with a little time under my belt, the situation looked different? Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  5. Good topic Susan! I have learned that everything (good and bad) happens for a reason. I have by NO means mastered doing nothing, but it seems that's when everything falls right into place just as it should be. So, I just find my "happy" each day and share it. I am responsible for my own happiness. I'll take that job over the "struggle" any day! Stay positive my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where I would be without God in my life. This prayer is a wonderful reminder of trusting God with the hurts and hurdles in life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use this prayer as a filter whenever I am stuck with making hard decisions. It has never failed me. Thanks so much for dropping by! I so appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. Heartspace. I like that word. Very fitting. What is occupying space in my heart, and does it need to be there?

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...