Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring de Mint

I only have 2 daffodils blooming.
So, I was laying around being kind of lazy today. I had just put my head down to take a 30 minute nap when a thought rolled into my head, "this is yard debris week". Crap.  They only pick up the green can twice a month and this time of year it fills quickly with fall leaves and dead stuff.  The obsessive-compulsive me jumped out of bed and headed to the herb garden as it is in bad need of clean-up. The lazy me just went along with it because there is no arguing with the OCD me.  I am compelled to fill that debris can before they pick it up on Wednesday. 

I had no problem finding stuff to fill it with.  The problems were of a different nature. My back is another year older and I had to dig out an outside chair to sit and rest every once in a while. Me, resting like an old lady. It's absurd. 

And, crap.  Dog crap, more specifically. That was another problem. Now listen. I go out once a week and pick up Missy's business but we had a lot of snow this year, starting in November, and, well, I won't get into the details of how "it" ends up buried in the leaves and dead herb bushes. Just trust me when I say it was a shitty job today.

Truth is, I really love being outdoors and I don't care if I'm doing yard work. I rather enjoy the part of cleaning up leaves and watching the herb garden come alive. I love the idea of filling that debris can to the top. But I think I need to take the advice of a gardener who is older than me who once told me to limit myself to a 5-gallon bucket of weeding every day. She told me that if I did that, I could stay on top of it.  I was thinking of her today. Peggy is her name and gardening is her game.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a gardener. I don't like gardening, at all. I have no idea how to make things grow. I'm sure I've mentioned in earlier posts this herb garden was already here. I love, love, love the fact that with a little bit of cleaning up and turning on the water system, it grows into a thing of beauty that I really enjoy by the end of summer. 

Anyway, I still have a little more cleanup to do but the can is full so it will have to wait. By the way, the mint is already coming up. What a lovely fragrance while I was picking up leaves today.

A land mine for Missy's leavings.




This is what it will look like in just a few short months. Magic, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Well we have a bid on another place and I am looking forward to flowers and a garden if we get it. I can smell the mint from here. I want to start one myself for love your herbs. Love Nancy and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought at first that the herb garden just looks kind of messy and unkempt, but there is some really good stuff out there. The mint that was mentioned, and then there is: lemon something, rosemary, thyme, chives, greenish gray and purplish varieties of sage, chamomile, my favorite, fennel, and another herb that like the fennel has a licorice taste and smell to it, and then some other stuff that I have no idea what the heck it is. Apparently two ladies had lived here for a time, a few owners back and they did the whole herb garden whilst they lived here, or so says a neighbor who has lived across the street for 26-27 years continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's magic...and a lot of hard work. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...