Thursday, April 17, 2014

Oh, The Places You'll Go (A to Z Blogging Challenge)

I'm cheating this morning. I went back into my archives from 2011 and pulled up this post for "O" entry today. I do love going back into the archives. And, I'm glad I started blogging when I did. My posts have always been random and I'm not sorry about that.

Every day I get up, suit up and show up for my life. And, then I write about it. I hope you enjoy my blast from the past today.

love, susan


Oh, The Places You'll Go
The Cable Bridge - Tri-Cities, Washington
“Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.” 
~ Winnie the Pooh


This morning I read this quote in a blog I read regularly.  The blog (Jonathan Fields) is written by a guy who used to be a big-shot, corporate attorney but who is now writing books and has a thriving blog with a nice following of smart, compassionate business-type followers. He left the titles and excerpts of 7 childrens' books as food for thought today about everything we need to know to succeed in business. I would expand it to say everything we need to know in life ....

Out on the Columbia River

“Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.” 
~ Winnie the Pooh

I shot these pics when we were on a boat cruise with "the big guy" in June 2009. The big guy was the senior partner in the law firm where I work. He worked hard and he played hard.  He died suddenly last May. When I look at this picture, I remember leaning over the side of the boat putting my hand in the  spray from the wake of the boat and allowing the cool water to hit my hand. It was hot that day.  I love that feeling.

Under the Cable Bridge
We had to go under the cable bridge to get down the river. I don't know if I'll ever be on a boat out on the Columbia River ever again. I had no way of knowing that would be the first and last time I cruised in DRR's yacht. I only know that I enjoyed every single moment of being out on the water and doing nothing. We took off at3:00 p.m. from the office and the first two hours of the cruise were the very best because instead of typing words like radiculopathy and depositions, I was munching on chips & salsa and sharing laughter and sunshine with my co-workers.

Columbia River
“What makes the desert beautiful,” said the little prince, “is that somewhere it hides a well…” 
~ The Little Prince

We live in a desert here in Eastern Washington but you'd never know it by the two rivers that run through the Tri-Cities.

On this day, we traveled down the Columbia River quite a ways towards Umatilla. I was given a little history lesson on how the gorge was formed but the information did not stick to my teflon brain. All I know is that it is an amazing site to see and I'm glad I got to see it while out on the water.


The Cable Bridge
You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go.”

"Oh, The Places You'll Go" ~ Dr. Seuss

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was an interesting day. I like your quotes and where they could take me. Thank you.
    P.S. I checked out Jonathan Fields' blog. Interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How often children's books can be enlightening and provide a sudden awakening for adults! I love that! Great post. I really enjoyed the message. Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounded like such a wonderful day! Glad you shared it!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...