Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Movies (A to Z Blogging Challenge

I have been a big movie fan ever since my job at a small theater in my home-town Haines, Alaska. With a population of 1,200, going to see a movie on Friday and Saturday night was the only alternative to drinking yourself into oblivion. Often enough, we did both at the same time.
 
Back in the day, movies arrived on reels in big metal cans with handles on them. I don't recall how many reels it took for one movie but one of the jobs I never held was running the projector. The guy who owned the business usually put boys in that job. I'm pretty sure they made more money than the ticket and concession stand positions. I digress.
 
Movies. Yeah, I loved sitting in that theater watching the newest movie. We were at the end of the line for receiving them so while the rest of the world had already seen The Exorcist, we had to wait patiently for it to arrive.  I wasn't old enough to see it but we (the workers) would go into the theater after-hours and watch whatever we wanted. Honestly, I do not remember any other movie in all my high school years (maybe too much wine?) besides The Exorcist. It scared the hell out of me and I can't watch it to this day.
 
What I do love these days is just about anything on the big screen. If you asked me to name my Top 10 11 Movies, that list would change but my all-time favorite never changes, On Golden Pond.
 
My Current Favorites
  1. On Golden Pond
  2. As Good As It Gets
  3. There's Something About Mary
  4. Second Hand Lions
  5. Terminator 2
  6. Erin Brockovich
  7. Crime of the Heart
  8. The Perfect Storm
  9. Steel Magnolias
  10. Something's Gotta Give
  11. Elizabethtown 
Have you seen a great movie lately?  What are your Top 10 faves?
 
love, susan
 

9 comments:

  1. Murphy's Romance...How can it get anybetter...In my Shoes...Chick flicks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to see one called "God's Not Dead" this weekend and it was really uplifting and encouraging. Great soundtrack too, I was crying all kinds of happy tears and dancing in my seat. Literally could NOT sit still!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And conversely, I watched a couple Oscar nominated movies this weekend, August, Osage County and the one with Amy Adams. Hated both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Thats a nice list and my favourite from them is The Perfect Storm !

    htttp://www.ananyatales.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, but the WORST Oscar nominated film I've ever seen was with you, "The Crying Game", remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. On the Waterfront 1954
    2. Boyz'n'the Hood 1991
    3. Life is Beautiful 1997
    4. Dead End 1937
    5. Mister Smith Goes to Washington 1939
    6. Batman The Dark Knight 2008
    7. Monty Python & the Holy Grail
    8. Scent of a Woman 1992
    9. Les Miserables*
    10. Come and See 1985 (USSR)

    *I've seen just about every version of this story on film, from the silent versions to the film version of the Broadway musical, which I adored with one small exception. But my FAVORITE telling of this tale is the 1995 version about a former boxer and petty criminal (Jean Paul Belmondo) who helps a Jewish family escape from the Nazis in WWII France. Along the way, the family teaches him to read using Victor Hugo's book Les Miserables and he begins to see himself as the book's hero, Jean Valjean.

    HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend this one. (THREE Highlys!) It is on Netflix and all I can say is that you will never hear the song "Cheekl to Cheek" the same way after seeing this film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Following from Blogging AtoZ.
    I'm writing "Things My Husband Has Broken" A to Z at http://AMomsPointOfView.com
    Come by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, good old film canisters lol. Bummer that you were last to know about most movies though. I've never done an official "top ten favorites" list but i think Pulp Fiction is my all time #1 fave.

    I just saw Draft Day starring Kevin Costner and that was very good. My next trip to the cinema will be for The Fault In Our Stars. Been counting down the days for that one since it began filming!

    The Pedestrian Writer visiting from the A to Z blogging challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE movies! Especially seeing them on the big screen. Just the whole experience is what is enjoyable for me. Like you, my list of favorites would change but some of my favs are on your list. On Golden Pond definitely. Btw, have you read Jane Fonda's autobiography? Great book! She talks a lot about On Golden Pond and her tenuous relationship with her father (which she says the movie is a very realistic portrayal of their relationship, which is probably why it's such compelling acting...because it's not!). I love Erin Brocovich, Something's Gotta Give. Other favs of mine: Suspect (with Cher), Seven (Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt), Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, We Were Soldiers, Lethal Weapon, identity Thief, Brother Orchid, The Big Sleep, so many old film noir films. Oh Lord, I could go on and on... LOVE MOVIES! I always thought it would be cool to work in a movie theater as a kid.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...