Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for April Fool's Day

Today is the first day in a month long A to  Z blogging challenge.
 
April Fool's day is among my favorite days of the year. Nobody suspects a nice girl like me to play tricks. That's what makes it so joyful when I can pull one over on somebody. I wait all year for this day!

Among my favorite past deeds was a trick I played on my sister-in-law, who is now a most excellent, experienced hair designer but back then she was early in her career.

She had a knack for getting perm solution on my delicate skin and sometimes I would get a little chemical burn. No big deal to me but it always made her feel bad.

Being the opportunist that I am, I took advantage of
her sympathy by starting a little white lie
that left us all laughing.

It started a couple of days before April 1st that year. I had visited her shop to have my hair permed. She splashed a little perm solution on the tip of my ear and it burned to a blister. I'm not sure when the idea formed in my mind to run with it but I decided to tell her mom (my wonderful mother-in-law) that I had to go to the doctor for antibiotics because it got HORRIBLY infected (a big fat lie). Oh, and I said specifically to my wonderful mother-in-law, "please don't tell Jo".

People! I knew exactly what I was doing and my plan worked like a beautiful marriage. My mother-in-law immediately called Jo and the fun began.  I'm pretty sure Jo wasn't happy with my foolery at first but from then on my in-laws were on their toes when April Fool's day came around. I would go on to fool them again and again.

Do you play April Fool's jokes?  I sure could use some fresh material.

love, susan

9 comments:

  1. I totally forgot that it's April Fools Day today-I need to come up with something to do to my kid's when they get home from school :D

    Finley Jayne
    http://finleyjaynesbookshelves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be scared to tell you some AF jokes because you might use them on me!!!
    :-) That was a good one though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot it was April Fools day! Pranking is fun. So what will you be doing today??

    ReplyDelete
  4. well you pulled a goodone on this old lady today

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny! I don't play jokes anymore but I used to when I was young!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute of a April Fool's joke! Last one I played was two years ago on my son; he was going up to see his girlfriend about 70 miles from where we lived. We told him there was an earthquake up in the area (we live in Southern California) and the major roads were closed. He almost believed us :)

    I had one pulled on me a few years back when we lived in Montana. I was reading the newspaper and they were talking about the white snakes that were on the rims over the city. They even had a picture of them and a fascinating article about them. I believed it; told the kids all about it and then found out the next day it was an April Fool's prank :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. A friend sent out a message that she got engaged today. I couldn't decide whether to congratulate her or not. Loved your sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan!

    I am also doing the A to Z Challenge and focusing on picture books because I am a children's picture book author. Good luck with the challenge!

    Take care,

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL oh so bad! No I'm terrible at April Fools jokes. I enjoy seeing what others get up to though :)

    Happy A to Z-ing! Hope you had a great April Fools :)
    ~Anna
    My A to Z.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...