Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Wenatchee, Washington (A to Z Blogging Challenge)

Will this blog challenge ever be over?  I'm over it.
 
I ran out of steam at about letter H. That's how it is with me and I know this about myself. I'm not a quitter but I sure can drag something on to the bitter end. Kind of like our Sunday drive last weekend.
 
We drove 300+ miles and I only lifted my camera for 4 shots. This is the only one that made the cut. It wasn't a total waste of a day as my hubby and I talked the entire drive. Can't do that on a motorcycle.
 
Our end destination was Leavenworth (22 miles north of Wenatchee) because I had never been. He kept saying it wasn't worth the drive but I wanted to judge it for myself. He was right but now I can check that off my "wander" list. 
 
I'm not much for the kind of shtick they sell in Leavenworth. I hear it's pretty during Christmas-time when all the lights are up. There are lots of souvenir stores and it's all cutesy, if you're into that sort of thing. There is no sign of corporate America there, I'll give them that. Oh wait, I did see a McDonald's on the way out of town.
 
Took a chance and pulled into the little town of Cashmere, which is a few miles south of Leavenworth where I got this great shot of the river while standing on the bridge. Not much in Cashmere but I felt like at least I'd have one photo so I could remember this forgetful trip.
 
We tried to find a Thai place in Wenatchee but there was nothing open, not even a Mexican restaurant. Bad idea to leave the house with only a small container of grapes. We did find a great Mexican restaurant in Othello but by that time I was so hungry that I over-ate and was miserable all the way home.
 
If you are still reading, I'm sure you are wondering if this post will ever be over.  It is.
 
Have you ever gone someplace and been disappointed? Did you find something to like about the journey anyway?  Do you love "shtick"?
 
love, susan

10 comments:

  1. I've been to Leavenworth, but I don't remember much about the town, I just recall why I was there: Class IV river rafting. THAT was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RAFTING! Now, that I could love ... but not class IV. I like the "jump in your inner tube and float slowly" kind of rafting. It's perfect weather for it, too!

      Delete
  2. Visiting from A/Z :) Its almost over :) Glad you are sticking through to finish it :) Years ago hubby had a job interview in Wenatchee; he chose not to take the job to relocate the family, but he said the area was pretty! I remember years ago when we were visiting Medford, Oregon we decided to take a drive to see Crater Lake, about 45 miles away. We hadn't had breakfast, we thought we would find something a long the way; nothing, no fast food places, no mom and pop restaurants. We did see Crater Lake and then came back and enjoyed a nice lunch :)

    Hang in there, the challenge is so close to being over!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a memory of going to Crater Lake with my grandparents a very long time ago. It's gorgeous there! Yeah, I need to be better about taking some healthy snacks along, for sure. I get cranky when not fed. Thanks a million for dropping in!

      Delete
  3. Have you ever been to Solvang, California? I've been there 3 times -- Solvang -- each time thinking it'll be better than next. I think its schtick rivals Leavenworth, at least my memory of the town. It's been nearly 20 years since I was there. I did like the scenery around Wenatchee.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder
    Take 25 to Hollister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been to Solvang, California and will promptly put it on my do-not-wander list. Haha! The Wenatchee area really is beautiful with trees and greenness.

      Delete
  4. J here, stopping by from the #atozchallenge - where I am part of Arlee's A to Z Ambassador Team.
    I celebrated our "Z-day" by watching the iZombie television show.
    Hope to see you at the after party. I'm looking forward to when the Reflections Linky List opens on Monday, May 4th.
    I've followed your G+.
    Sorry you didn't enjoy the challenge. Great photo though.
    -J @JLenniDorner

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a dedicated trooper. I lost count of all the challenges I started and walked away from. The April mail challenge was one I enjoyed. I wrote 64 letters. It wasn't even hard to do. I'm still in the hole to the tune of 9 more replies.

    The 642 tiny things to draw book is still blank. I have not drawn a single doodle-a-day doodle, so my hat is off to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 64 letters: That's remarkable! Never give up.

      Delete
  6. Hello there.
    Sorry you ran out of steam for the remainder of the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...