Thursday, April 2, 2015

Blogging Tips (from A to Z 2015 Challenge)

I've been blogging since 2010.  My very first entry was the dumbest post ever about banana pie.  I had no idea what I was doing but I wanted to get started. I often refer back to that first post because when I am encouraging others, I need to let them know where I started.

Since that first post, I have used this blog to document the parts of my life that are fun and perhaps worth sharing. I have been on an adventure with my husband for 14 years now and I regret that I waited so long to keep this public journal.

LABELS
After I got going with posts every day, I discovered a feature called "Labels". I use labels to tag my posts into categories. This has been useful, for example, when at the end of a summer of motorcycling my husband will say "we hardly went anywhere this summer". I started documenting all the road trips we took and labeled them so I could prove him wrong.

SCHEDULE
Another feature I am using during this challenge that you might like to try is "Schedule".  I am writing this particular post on Wednesday and will schedule it to publish tomorrow morning at 5:30am. There is a certain feeling of accomplishment I get when I do that. I know the post is sitting there, waiting to go live and I have a deadline if I wish to change anything in it. If you haven't tried this feature, now is a great time to try it.

IDEAS
After writing this blog for 5 years now, sometimes I feel short on ideas. I like to Google "writing prompts". I also handwrite in a journal almost every morning and often ideas will bubble up. I enjoy photography, Zentangle, cooking and most recently watercolor penciling. Most of my post ideas come from a visual place in my mind.

Where do you get your ideas? Do you ever feel stuck? What do you do to un-stick yourself?  Have you ever gone on an artist's date?

Thank you for stopping by my blog!

TOMORROW:  Create

love, susan

12 comments:

  1. I have what I call the Big Book of Blog, which I shall probably be blogging about at some point. Sometimes blogging is easy peasy for me and sometimes it's a struggle. Comes with the writing territory. Good luck with the A to Z Challenge! Cheers. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I sure hope you do blog about your Big book of Blog. Tell me more!

      Delete
  2. Thankyou for the lovely tips. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by! Have a great day and enjoy the A to Z!

      Delete
  3. Prompts are helpful when you aren't sure what to post. Mine is kind of built in as I am a book blogger. But for when I've not got a review to post, then I've found some great book blogging memes that I use. Great post! If you have time you should stop by and check out my B post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping in. I've got an unrealistic goal of reading 52 books this year. I'm falling short already but I'm not going to give up. So many things to do, books to read, photos to take. I like your blog subject.

      Delete
  4. When I get stuck, or need an idea, I head to my think tank (soak in the tub or take a long shower). There's something about water that help ideas flow. My husband bought me the most thoughtful gift: "Aqua Notes" (waterproof paper and pencil). Their slogan, "No More Great Ideas Down the Drain!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, why is that? I do my best thinking in the shower. I may have to invest in Aqua Notes. What a super idea. Thanks, Trudy!

      Delete
  5. It's been a long while since I've made a date with myself. Just thinking of making a date with myself actually makes me nervous, which is crazy. Why would I not like myself? lol Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I'm the blogger who wrote about blood pudding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, blood pudding! Actually, Su-siee, I have been following your blog on my roll since last year's challenge. Keep up the good work. I can't quite get blood pudding out of my mind. Thanks for that. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, and really good tips. Isn't Schedule one of the best features ever? I need to get better about labels; I seem to forget to do that fairly often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I still had the time to write in my blog. It started out to be an almost daily writing, and has now fallen to be a once every two weeks or so blog. I still share a lot of photos, and my entries are very long, but it was easier to read and keep up with me when I wrote more often. I just don't have the time, unfortunately. I've been writing since May 2003, so it is soon to be 12 years of writing for me. I save each month to PDF format (when I think about it) so I will always have a copy, even if this blog disappears someday. As a person who always wrote in a diary, and then in later years a paper journal, I think I will always write. Maybe not as often, but I don't see it stopping forever. I love using labels, and while I don't use the schedule feature, I do publish my blogs using the PRIVATE feature until they are complete to my satisfaction. That's when I change the private to public and present it to the world.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...