Friday, April 3, 2015

Create (A to Z Challenge)


Creating is difficult to par down to 300 words or less so I 've broken this post into categories. I think you'll find some great ideas here if you'll take 5 minutes from your busy day to read it. 
 
For the last 3 years I have chosen one word to focus on as a New Year's resolution. Using one word opens up a large can of ideas for me and has proven helpful in all areas of my life.  Previous words I've used are minimize, develop, and focus. Following is how I think about the word create.

TIME
When I think about creating, or forming new ideas, I determine how much time I have to go shoot photos, have coffee with a friend, bake something fabulous, or simply sit and read a book. Recently I've become a big fan of podcasts. When I sit down at my craft table, I turn on a podcast. Right now I'm enjoying one by Michael Hyatt called This is Your Life.  If you click on this link, in this episode he talks about 10 Ways to Generate More Blog Traffic. It's free and I think you'll enjoy it.

FRIENDSHIPS
My friendships are important to me and I think having like-minded friends is super helpful in the creative process. I discovered last year that I have quite a few hidden artists among my gal pals. You probably do, too! Start by asking them, what kinds of things do you like to create? Your friends may tell you they are not creative but I guarantee you it is because they don't see themselves that way. I have one friend who recently has been bitten with the "gardening bug". Her eyes light up when she talks about it. If that's not creative, I don't know what is. I love that!

PHOTOGRAPHY
Two years ago, I started a 30-day photo scavenger hunt on FB. I tagged a few people and got some interested in following along. One of those friends created a FB group for us and now we have 197 group members. We take turns coming up with a month long list of creative items for people to shoot and post. Lots of ideas happening there. You could start your own scavenger hunt. Get creative!

ART
I discovered a couple of my friends are painters. We got together a couple of months ago for an artist's day and they demonstrated watercolor and acrylics. I picked up a new love for watercolor pencils. I also make my own greeting cards with rubber stamping and decorating chalk. I don't spend a lot of money on any of it, picking up items at thrift stores and items people have given me over the years. Lack of money is no excuse for not creating. I use my own images when I blog. I use Picasa 3 (free) for photo editing. Susan's Rule: never let a cable bill go out without a pretty stamp on it!
 
COOKING
I use a few simple tools in the kitchen to stay creative. My lunches always have lots of color and I like to keep it creative even when I'm serving my husband a sandwich on the weekends. Colorful food items like grapes and green olives make me so happy. I keep cute little cookie cutters on hand for heart shaped slices of cheese. Think about it! Who doesn't like to see a little love on their plate?
 
So, you see, there are many ways you can be creative if you give it a chance. If you are blogging, I know you are a creative person and I would love to hear from you.
 
What do you like to create? Do you have some ideas about creating you can pass on to me? Do ideas ever keep you awake at night? What word would you choose to focus on for a whole year?   Thank you so much for stopping by. Hope you'll leave me a comment!
 
TOMMOROW:  Develop
 
love, susan

8 comments:

  1. What a great idea, using cookie cutters for cheese slices. I need to put more creativity into serving meals. I tend to slap the food on a plate and serve it up like, "Here's the grub, dig in."

    I like what you said about asking friends about the kinds of things they like to create. Thanks for sharing your creativity and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another word I almost chose for my resolution in 2015 is "mindfulness". Even though I didn't choose it, I like the idea of being mindful of being creative in my everyday life. What great props we have in all our food choices!

      Delete
  2. Lately I've been wanting to get our friends together for a Let's create something. I'd just put a whole bunch of tools, wood, this and thats, and ask folks to bring whatever stuff, too. We'd put all in a pile and make something, individually, in duos or as a group.

    I like to create with words. I've discovered that I enjoy drawing. I draw like a kid. I like to take photos and now and then sew. Cooking is also my creative outlet. Throw in gardening, too, but right now I'm mostly the Mama's assistant. You've really got my head thinking up a storm. Thanks!
    Cool post. I didn't learn to swim until I was in high school, and then I became a fish.:-)
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger, I worked with a therapist who started out doing art therapy. She was a great person to have over for a craft day. I'd invite 4 or 5 people to bring whatever craft item they wanted and we put up tables, brought yummy food and spent the entire day creating. I always liked doing it somewhere between Valentine's day and Easter. I'll tell you ... I got MORE ideas from other people than I could ever come up with myself. And that art therapist? She was so encouraging. I just loved her. If you get your friends together, be sure to photograph it!

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous way to honor a New Years Resolution! Brilliant idea Susan! And great post. It gave me several ideas that I'm going to run with. Love the cookie cutter cheese slices. And thanks for the referral for a good photo editor. I've been looking for a decent one. Loved your post. Hope you're having fun with the A-Z. Talk soon. <3
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Michele! I'm loving your posts but I'll have to comment on FB because Wordpress always wants to use my Wordpress info and I don't blog there anymore. I'm so behind the times when it comes to the technical stuff.

      Delete
  4. Oh I loved this post - you were writing from the heart and lots of what you said resonated with me. I try to be creative in my teaching in order to enthuse the children in my classes especially for those who find learning things difficult in the more old fashioned ways!! I'd love you to visit me over at Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace as I am taking part n the Challenge too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this post. I love the photo scavenger hunt idea! How cool is that! I love the Art idea too. I always put smiles in any of my checks that have an O ☺ne hundred dollars, or whatever the amount. Time is something that everyone says they don't have enough of. Everyone has the same amount ... it's what you do with your time that makes a difference. Thank you for sharing this and I'll be looking forward to more of the A-Z blogging challenges with you.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...