Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Just for a While

June 22, 2011 - the day after solstice. Yikes. How did it get here so fast? 

I swear my life is like hanging on to the end of a runaway train. I am truly enjoying my time off this summer, albeit I thought it would be relaxing and I'd be spending a little time in my rarely-used lounge chair outside in the sun but that hasn't been the case.  Maybe next week. That's what I keep telling myself.

I'm not complaining.  Really, I'm not!  This week, our oldest grandson is here to spend time with us.  When he was here last year, I was working so I didn't get to spend very much time with him and I was so tired from working all day that I felt like he got the leftovers of my day and I didn't have much to offer in the way of having fun. We were thrilled when we found out he wanted to come again this year. Being 13, we thought he'd be too cool to spend time with us.  He is too cool but in a "I love my grandpa" kind of way.  

Yesterday, we ran some errands and ended up at Blockbuster Video as they are running a promotion where we rented just one movie at $2.99 and from now until July 4th we get to rent one movie free every single day. Free. No strings attached. Awesome! It's supposed to hit 91 today so we'll be sitting inside late in the afternoon with our free movie.

There is a free concert over on Clover Island tonight that we might just go and listen to for awhile. Thursday there is a concert in the park near where we live and Friday is yard sale day. Our grandson loves to go to yard sales ... and so do we.

When I was his age, my sister and I spent time at grandma's house. She had a garden, a cow in the little barn, and baby kittens that were born in the hay stack. She had wild blackberries and roses that made me sneeze. Grandpa would get up at 4:00 a.m. and start the side-pork cooking in the stove and get the coffee brewing. Grandma would get up and get ready to go to work as the postmaster in the little post office in Grand Ronde. Sometimes we would walk down to see her during the day just to say hello. That little post office is still there. Nothing much has changed in Grand Ronde in all these years. I was just there recently and of all the changes in my life, I'm so glad there is just one place I can go that is exactly as I remember it. 

I need to remember that we're making memories for our grand kids. I hope our oldest grandson feels special when he comes to visit.  He is special! They are all special in their own way.

Last night, about 8 o'clock we decided to go for a walk since the sun had cooled down. We did our regular 2-mile walk and he talked to us the entire route.  I loved it. When we're with his siblings (he has a sister and brother) it seems everyone is vying for attention. I love that we can give him our undivided attention just for a while. He told us he loves to draw. When we got home, I gave him a sketch book I had bought to do my zentangles in but have only drawn one since I bought it. He'll get more use out of it than I will, undoubtedly.

Well, I'd better close this post and get some french toast going ... and get ready to make some good memories today. Hope you have a wonderful day and that someone gives you their undivided attention ... just for a while.

love, susan

3 comments:

  1. You should show him how to do the zentangles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so lucky! Grandchildren are really a blessing. My grown grandson and his fiance will be coming to see us next summer. I am really excited about it! Thanks for keeping us updated on your long vacation. Even though you haven't been in your chair, you have been making some wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...