Thursday, June 2, 2011

Forget About It

Forget About It is a common phrase from the movie "Donnie Brasco" starring Al Pacino. 
 
Yesterday, I kicked it into high gear and started marking my items for the yard sale which is tentatively on my schedule for tomorrow. The weather has been so iffy. I won't place an ad on Craigslist until late this afternoon, just in case the forecast is for rain.  I don't do standing out in the rain collecting quarters.  The truth is I haven't done a yard sale in probably 20 years. My sister and I put one together when we both lived in Fairbanks. It's a huge amount of work but it's so much fun to meet your neighbors and visit with people who come by. We have a favorite small thrift store downtown where we'll take all our leftovers in the afternoon.

In the meantime, I went to my movie video shelf and pulled out quite a few movies that we've watched and don't intend to see again. However, as I was pulling them, I was thinking about the ones I'm keeping and how much I love movies. I can hardly limit myself to 10 Top Favorites.  Here they are in no particular order except On Golden Pond which is my absolute favorite.
1.  On Golden Pond
2.  Steel Magnolias
3.  Pushing Tin
4.  Schindler's List
5.  Alien
6.  The Terminator
7.  Jurassic Park
8.  The Trip to Bountiful
9.  Donnie Brasco
10. As Good As It Gets

I could add to this list ad infinitum.

These are just a few of the movies that didn't make my top movie list, although I really like them. If they don't sell, these may not make it to the thrift store.  Who doesn't love Mrs. Doubtfire?  I could go the rest of my life without seeing Pulp Fiction again although I love John Travolta in this film. I watched it last year and I had forgotten how violent it was. There was a time when I really liked that kind of movie but now not so much. The Birdcage ~ OMG ~ I love Nathan Lane in this film.  He's so over-the-top gay in this film and so funny!! Of these 3, I'd pick this as my favorite.


These movies did not make it into the yard sale box.  If you have never seen Dangerous Liaisons ~ it is a must see. Talk about evil! Glenn Close is absolutely wicked in this film. I love the games played in this movie and I always forget how it ends. It gets me every time. 

I absolutely love, love, love anything with John Cusack in it.  Pushing Tin is a nice little sleeper film which also stars Billy Bob Thorton. He plays a weird part.

Gene and I both love Ghosts of Mississippi although I cannot watch it very often because it makes me too angry and sad.


While I was looking for videos, I found a few books I had stashed on the shelf. These are not going in the yard sale. I have yet to read "The Iceman Cometh" but it is next in line behind a book I'm reading now.  So many books and movies, so little time.

I still have a box of books my friend, Kathy, sent me to read.

While I was running around from room to room, Gene made some cool wood hooks to hang up the ladders on the back of the garage. I'm so happy they finally have a place to be that's out of the way.  It's the little things that mean a lot!

So, when all is said and done, I found a few movies on the shelf I haven't seen in a long time. If it keeps raining like it has been, it just might be a movie kind of summer for us. We've had thunder, lightening and rain every day this week. 


What's on your Top Ten favorite movie list?
love, susan

2 comments:

  1. Eat Pray Love
    Pushing Tin
    An Officer and a Gentleman
    Pay it Forward
    The Boy Who Could Fly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE it that someone else likes "Pushing Tin"!!! I don't believe I've ever seen "The Boy Who Could Fly" and I have not seen "Eat Pray Love" yet. Thanks for the ideas, Vickie!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...