Monday, February 7, 2011

Unplanned Road Trips

Columbia River on a calm Sunday morning
So, yesterday I got up early to drive to the grocery store and grabbed my camera on the way out. I've been trying to take it with me no matter where I go.  I've had way too many missed opportunities for pics because I am:  a) too lazy to run up the stairs to grab my camera, or b) simply forget to bring it. Developing a new habit takes 14-21 days. I won't say how long I've been working on this habit.

We only live 1 mile from WinCo and just past the store is a marina and park. Instead of whipping into the parking lot I opted to keep going straight to see what I could find to take a picture of. I had not planned to do that, it was just a thought that came to me as I was approaching the store. Avoidance is usually my best motivator. I don't like going to the grocery store, at all. 

The river was unusually calm yesterday and the only car in the parking lot was a truck that pulled in behind me. The guy parked and got out with his springer spaniel (off leash) and they headed down the trail for a nice morning walk. Missy would be so envious if she knew.

Empty trail at marina park
There's nothing really special about these pictures except that if I had not taken my camera along, I would have to rely on my memory for this winter scene. It's February and I was able to be outdoors in just my turtleneck & sweatshirt. Notice there is no snow on the ground. There is also a lack of people walking along this trail so early in the morning. This place comes alive in about another month.

I loved the stillness on the river this day. And even though it was only a half-mile out of my way, it was sort of like taking an unplanned road trip.  How many times I've lived and worked in places and never explored different streets or gone inside interesting buildings.  It's a crime really.  There is so much to see & do if I just think outside the box once in awhile.

On the way back to the store, I stopped to snap this photo because I love the little cute little hedge on the left so meticulously cared for.  We went to a 50th birthday party last year at the yacht club for one of the attorneys at work. It's a really nice open space inside, perfect place to greet friends & family. It has great big windows and a nice deck out towards the water. Nice memory.

If you haven't taken an unplanned road trip lately, why not? You never know what you're going to see. It doesn't have to be a long road trip. Take a different street when you head to work or the store. Walk down into a building you've driven by a hundred times and see what's inside.  And take your camera!

 
love, susan

1 comment:

  1. Today I'm going to take a "road trip" around Seattle. I brought some addresses along of places I want to go to and I have a cute little red rental car and GPS and will go exploring. I will, of course, have my camera with me. I love the pictures because it is so still and promises spring. Thank you for the ride!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...