Sunday, February 13, 2011

Love in a Grange Hall

Yesterday was interesting. We got out and went for a long walk with Missy and ended up down at the river. The weather was warm enough for me to go with just a sweatshirt over my t-shirt. When we got home, I had to run into town to see my hair stylist for a badly needed haircut. I really enjoyed visiting with her and hearing about her life ~ as much as one can hear in 30 minutes. She's young but has an older soul. Very sweet and well-grounded. Then we drove out to Finley for a chili feed benefit for one of the Sheriff's Posse members who is dying from pancreatic cancer. We knew a couple of people but mostly the grange hall was filled with a tight-knit community that comes together to care for their own. It was sweet. For $5 each, we stepped through the threshold of the grange hall, found our seats and got a big bowl of chili with all the fixin's. For dessert, there was home-made marionberry pie, apple crisp, red velvet cake, snickerdoodles and brownies with the thickest icing you've ever seen. 

They held a silent auction and it made me smile to walk around the tables and see the items this community brought to donate for this worthy cause. I came home with a handmade dish in the shape of a halibut. It was made in Seldovia, Alaska. 

Gene said, "what are ya gonna do with that?"  Well, as a matter of fact, we're going to a friend's house this afternoon for a slide show of their motorcycle trip to Alaska and this little treasure will be perfect to place a cheese ball and crackers on.

I was thinking all night after we got home about how wonderful it is to have friends like the folks in Finley. I don't know how many people live out that way but everybody seems to know everybody. When the live auction started, I made note that it was the members of the Sheriff's Posse who ended up making winning bids on the higher priced items. A wonderful showing of love and dignity for their dear friend. Gene got to visit with our friend, Doug, and I got to take photos and just enjoy being with good people. There was even a lady there with a cute little dog in a shoulder kennel.  I love it! Here are a couple of pics from our day .... hope you enjoy.  love, susan

You gotta love an event that is dog friendly!


Lots of helping hands in the kitchen.

Pretty car out in the parking lot at chili feed! 68(?) Mercury Cougar

Gene and Doug

3 comments:

  1. You really pack everything in a weekend. Think you need work to relax for the next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think of weekends as little "mini-vacations", there are so many things to do and places to go. I can't hardly imagine sitting around doing nothing. I'm packing today (lite) and will be ready to go right after work on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a good time out there in Finley.. Good folks all around.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...