Saturday, December 18, 2010

I Want to Be a Scone

I made Scones (see my other blog, "What's Cooking") yesterday morning on a whim. My sister-in-law, Joanna, gave me a great recipe a long time ago but I didn't use it this time.  I found this recipe in my handy-dandy Better Homes & Garden Cook Book. This cook book has never failed me. There's a cake called Best Ever Carrot Cake on page 151 and they're not lying ~ it's a crowd pleaser.  The recipe for scones Joanna gave me calls for buttermilk, ham & cheese. Mmm ... 3 of my favorite things. I wish I could find a substitute for the cheese as Gene's arteries certainly don't need it. I couldn't help but think about Joanna when I was making my scones yesterday.  She would have liked them, I'm pretty sure. 

Scones are a glorified biscuit, when you really get down to it. I compared the recipes and there 'aint much difference.  I think Scones may have a little more love in them. And, they look really beautiful when you serve them on a plate with a cup of tea (insert your English accent here).  Think about it. It would just be really weird to have Craisins in one of your round biscuits. But somehow when you cut up the dough like pizza and sprinkle a little love on top, it becomes something else.


Okay, this is where I get all philosophical ... sorry ... hope you'll bear with me.  Isn't this what happens to people sometimes?  You sprinkle them with a little love and they become someone else.


love, susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...