Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Do That

One of my favorite blog sites is Man v. Debt. The blog is written by a young man living life outloud and debt free. I've followed Adam Baker for about a year now and learned of other great blogs from his. I love his honesty and humility.  Yesterday he wrote a post that challenged me -- I went to bed thinking about it.   What makes you cry tears of joy?  Do that, he says.

Make a list of everything in the last year that has made you cry tears of joy.  Take actionable steps to center your life around the items on this list in 2011.That’s it.

Horse Heaven Hills - July 2010
Hmmm ... things that made me cry of joy? Oh, that's easy. When Gene's daughters picked up and drove over to Tri Cities when he was having his medical crisis. I didn't really want to them to have to rearrange their busy lives but they never thought twice about it. They just got in the Jeep and drove. I was ever so thankful for their arrival ~ they kept me sane for 2 1/2 days. About a week after Gene was out of the hospital, we took a motorcycle ride up to Horse Heaven Hills and sat there over-looking the valley & Prosser. We both cried.  Dodging a fatal bullet can do that to you.  It brings you to your knees. Action: Do for others.  And, ride all the days you can ride. The housework can wait.
Chinatown - Honolulu 2010

Eating lunch everyday at Ruby's Bakery in Honolulu ~ that made me cry. I loved it that we found people who welcomed us to come back and share a meal with them, just as if we were family. If we ever go back, we'll be hard pressed to eat anywhere else. The cook & owner made us his special garlic shrimp, which is not on the menu. We felt special. I love that memory. Action: Eat food that makes you happy and always go where you feel welcomed.

Blessing of the Fleet
Visiting with my cousins at the annual Clark Cousins Reunion. I'd like to say it wasn't until we got ready to leave that I cried, but it wasn't.  I've never been good at goodbyes and even though everyone was asleep when we slipped out of the parking lot for our 9 hour drive home, I got a lump in my throat.  But this year was really special for me because my cousins who live in Port Orford took us down to the boat harbor for the  "Blessing of the Fleet". It's an annual event where the town's people remember the ones who have been lost to the sea and they say a blessing for those going out to sea to make their living. Their local pastor had lost his wife to cancer last year and there was not a dry eye in the audience as he spoke of how loss became real to him.  I was so moved by it that I'm losing it just writing this.  There were local people who got up to the podium and read poems, sang a song about the sea, and then they raised a flag and the bell tolled for those lost. My Uncle Red died in Port Orford, not at sea, but he loved the sea. Action: Be kind to everyone. You never know what they are battling in their lives & you never know when you're going to be walking in their shoes.

Whew, this post is harder than I thought it would be. I have a lot more things that made me cry for joy last year but I have to stop writing for now.   Maybe tomorrow I should think about things that made me laugh, huh?  Stay tuned.

 
2.  Make another list of times in 2010 you laughed so hard you were in physical pain.

3.  Make a third list of events in 2010 that made you so excited you couldn’t sleep.

Look at all three lists… is there any overlap?
Do that.
Do it for the rest of your life.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful Susan. Not sure how it would work in my life...I cry everyday about something!! A song, a thought, a commercial.....it doesn't take much. But thinking back, I can't think of one time I cried tears of joy! Or was so excited I couldn't sleep. I think when we get older we lose some of that. If you asked about times I couldn't sleep because I was worried? Plenty. Or because I had some conversation rolling around my head? Plenty. But not excitement. I remember those days though!! (Christmas a good example!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, is your dad/Nancy leaving Yuma? I just read her latest entry...now THAT almost made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no, she just sold her place there. They live in the RV full-time and keeping up her place was just costing them too much time that they'd rather be doing something else with. They'll still snowbird there in the winter but my dad has property there and they'll simply park there instead of renting it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the reason I feel her meloncholy-ness is I can just imagine how it will feel to sell our home here and move away some day. I dread that time....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cry tears of joy
    After...

    realizing I do not have to do anything, I get to do it and it's going to be all good.

    seeing how much someone truly loves me, no matter what I look like.

    finding out how much is too much and knowing less is more.

    I should not be an option, to myself.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...