Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What Would Pooh Do?

"Don't underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering." 
                                    ~Winnie the Pooh~

I have been in a Winnie the Pooh kind of mood lately. I guess it's because I see there is a new Pooh movie coming to the theater on July 15th. I haven't been to an animated film at the cinema for a very long time but this movie may be one I'll go see. I love Pooh and I'm not ashamed to admit it. 

I love the above quote, although it's a hard one to live by sometimes. At the very high risk of being called lazy (mostly by the voice in my head), I have a hard time just doing nothing at times. It's a curse, I'm sure. I think Pooh is on to something.  Sometimes sitting still and doing nothing can be valuable.  I just haven't perfected it very well ... just yet.

I talked with my daughter-in-law on the phone yesterday for 41 minutes. What a treat!! She's off for the summer, just like me, and she said it took her a while to figure out what to do with her endless hours of time. She reads a lot and I told her I like to read too but for some reason can't seem to sit still long enough to get a book read. She said she makes herself read at least one chapter before bed. I can't read at night ... it puts me to sleep. Once I sit or lay down, it's over for me. So yesterday I decided to try reading just one chapter after I did a little yard work. It was a huge reward for me. It was so much fun that after I did that, I putz around the house some more and ended up reading another chapter. It was sort of like putting my toe in the water of nothingness. It wasn't bad.
 
As I sit here at the computer writing this, I have a to-do list nagging me. Oh, bother.

love, susan   

 

3 comments:

  1. I wish I COULD read at night before bed, but I never dare. If I start reading a novel, I have to keep on reading until I'm done. I will stay up all night reading. I envy those who can read a little bit before going to bed, or those who can read a chapter then go do something else. Sigh. I am a self-dubbed "reading pig." Not sure if that fits any Winnie the Pooh character though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of Winnie The Pooh looks cute and I love how his red shirt looks and I love how he says oh bother and i think he's cute when he says oh bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One time my friend Josh Martin had that happen to him one time and he is a huge fan of Winnie The Pooh and he looks exactly like Winnie The Pooh and he loves his red shirt and he was wearing one and bees were bothering his honey pot and he said oh bother and I laughed because I thought of Winnie The Pooh when he said oh bother.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...