Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Take Care With Your Life

I've spent a good part of yesterday afternoon and today getting ready for a 5-day camping trip. Mostly I've been baking. I made banana & zucchini bread yesterday along with a loaf of rye bread (which will be gone before today is over).  I placed the sweet breads in the freezer and will take them out in the morning just before we head out.  I also baked corn bread muffins and a big batch of Thai fried rice.  I bought a watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, apples and a couple of cans of beans along with some whole wheat tortillas to make burritos with. I cooked some extra chicken to put on the burritos or mix with the beans. We'll be drinking water instead of soda this year.  

The reason for the title of this post is that it's a saying my husband pulls out of his hat every once in a while. It has been going through my mind as I have been cooking today.  I could have gone to the store and bought bags of chips, hot dogs, and stuff for s'mores. If we had kids with us, that might have made more sense. But, we're not kids anymore and just because we're going out of town doesn't mean we should ditch our desire to eat better.  Although, a couple of times today I've thought about it.

We'll be meeting up with some awesome old friends and the most important thing we have in our camping arsenal is the coffee pot.  Whoever gets up first makes the coffee and it is totally proper camping etiquette to offer coffee to other early morning risers who may only have just their coffee cup with them.  We will certainly have enough sweet bread to share for a day or two.

We always have a big get together around the camp fire on Friday and Saturday night. Usually someone has a huge plate with cookies on it. I should get some made so I can contribute. The trouble is if I make them too soon, they'll never make it to Friday, much less Saturday.

Take care with your life.  It sounds kind of spiritual, doesn't it? This weekend is a spiritual getaway for me. Just writing this blog post is helping me adjust my attitude about the whole thing.  Take care with my life.  Whew.  I need it.
love, susan

 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun! And everything sounds delicious! (By the way... I would love the recipe for your rye bread!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan this is a very good piece. Makes for a nice, reflective read. Thank you.

    You mean we're goin' on the road again??? Yeah! Girl I'll be all eyes and grins. :D

    Take as many pics as you can, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds heavenly, just like a getaway I could use. Fun Fun fun. Is your rye bread tender? sounds yummy have tons of fun!!! and Take care with your life, I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Susan,

    You have no idea how much I needed to read this post and the words "Take care of your life"....someday I'll tell you. You are one of those precious friends that I will forever treasure and your writing is such a joy to read.

    Big huggs,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...