Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cockle Shells ... Really?

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

This morning, I was reading the Wikipedia description of the above old English nursery rhyme. If you go the website, you'll find there is a bit of a twist on this little poem.  (See Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary.)

So I stepped outside this morning to see what the temperature was like and spotted this bright yellow flower blooming in the herb garden. I have absolutely no idea what it is but I love the fact that they keep growing and blooming despite my lack of interest in gardening.  The herb garden is very interesting because it has different stages of growth. I noticed there is a big dead spot right in the middle of the garden now and the cause was quickly determined to be a sprinkler head that needs to be raised up. Too late for those poor herbs this year but it'll get fixed and provide plenty of hydration for next year's growing.

This year I planted a roma tomato plant in the Topsy Turvy. It's going like crazy and we'll be having some fresh salsa probably in another couple of weeks. This may all sound very boring to anyone reading but for me it's a huge thrill when I see the tomatoes forming since I have such a black thumb.

My petunias are looking a little dreadful but we had 97 degrees yesterday and it promises to be just as warm today. They can only take so much heat before they start to droop. 

We're heading out to do some camping early next week and will be gone for a week. I'm thinking of asking my neighbor if she'll shoot some water on my tomatoes and flowers while we're gone. I hate asking but they won't make it if they don't get water daily.

How's your garden growing? 


love, susan

 

4 comments:

  1. Do you like your topsy turvy tomatoes? I was going to try one of those on our balcony, but someone told my husband not to bother with one. Seems like others like them though, so maybe I can convince him they are worth it.

    As for my garden... I have some herbs in containers sitting near a window. The ones that started as plants are doing great, but the ones I planted as seeds are...well...they haven't seen the light of day yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally love the topsy turvy. My husband was very doubtful last year when I put it up but we got lots of wonderful tomatoes and I highly recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to have a garden.. Who knows, maybe I will one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a believer, though after looking at it's construction.. I would build the next one.. not much to it.. though you can use it over and over.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...