Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"To Stop-Doing List"

This is me ~ on a road trip ~ doing things I want to be doing with my time!
I'm 9 chapters into a book called "The Art of Non-Conformity" by Chris Guillebeau.  I've been following his blog for about a year now and I like his ideas.  Something I read today really hits home with me.  He talks about creating a "To Stop-Doing List". This is not a new concept to me.  I had a co-worker many years ago who turned me on to the idea of not doing things I don't want to do. One day I stopped by her desk and invited her to go to lunch with me and another co-worker in our office. My friend declined the invitation and without provocation she said, "Susan, at my age (she was in her 60's at the time), I no longer do things I don't want to do. While I'd love to have lunch with you, I don't care for (blank) and I choose to not spend time with people I don't care for".  Her lesson was not lost on me.  While I like almost 98% of the people I come into contact with, there are a few that I would not care to spend a lunch hour with.

Right now I am signed up for an on-line class this semester, "Missy" starts a new Rally Obedience class next week, fall is here and I have to get my winter clothes out, etc.  So here's my "To Stop-Doing List" for right now:

1)   Facebook.  I'll look at it briefly but I've found myself spending far too much time on it.  I'm officially cutting down. The only reason I haven't click off my account is that I dearly love seeing other people's photos. And, I won't give up my Scrabble games with Caroline ~ I enjoy those far, far too much.

2)  Turning off the TV.  I spend too much time on the couch after dinner watching Two and A Half Men.  I've seen every single episode more than twice. Why am I wasting my precious life doing that?

3)  I'm going to clean out my closets and get rid of stuff that's cluttering my life.

This is just for starts!

3 comments:

  1. I totally love this!!!!!
    Thanks Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hope that you stay out of my closet, and more so my garage and basement office, ONLY when you get in that frenetic, "clear it out mode". The only reason I am posting this is the very last sentence that said,"This is just for starts! tee hee ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be afraid, Gene, be very afraid! (hysterical, devilish laugh inserted here)

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...