Monday, September 17, 2012

Blogging, Beaches and PBJ Sandwiches

If you are new to blogging, you might be wondering what you are going to blog about and how often you should blog.  Those are just a couple of the questions I had when I started two years ago. 
 
I had no idea what I wanted to blog about, I just wanted to write and have a spot for my favorite photos. When I started doing a little research about blogging, I learned that some people like to find a 'niche'.  After a lot of random writing, I still don't really have a niche. However, I did start a totally separate blog to capture all my favorite recipes, and a year ago I started a "365" project which will not be done in 365 days. That's kind of how I've learned to roll with this blogging thing. There are no rules. No expectations. Just photos and fun writing. My best advice for blogging is just do it and see what happens. Once you start, if you are like me, you'll start thinking about blogging as you go about your daily life and you might see things in a different light. I often experience things and think, "I should blog about that".
 
Having said that, we just got back from our 3rd annual September weekend at the beach with family. We have found heaven on earth at Cape Lookout on the Oregon coast, with this being our third campout with flawless beach weather. We arrived Friday afternoon to fog but it cleared up late in the day and Saturday we woke up to a crystal clear blue sky and bright sun.
 
On the drive over to the beach, we stopped and ate a picnic lunch I threw together. The remarkable thing was my guy raving over the peanut butter and jelly sandwich I had made for him. (The turkey sandwich in his hand was the other sandwich in the lunchbox. It received kudos as well.) It's worth writing about when you haven't had one in a long time. You'd thought it was the best sandwich he ever had. I love that about him. He loves the simple things in life.
 
We spent time around the campfire and a major amount of time on the beach. The kids and grandkids played touch football and chased Frisbees for hours. There were four of us grandparents who enjoyed catching up with each other.
 
Leaving early Sunday morning, we took a different route home, heading up the coast to have breakfast at a favorite little coffee place in Garibaldi. From there we drove through Portland and decided to take the Washington side (Hwy 14) home. I love that drive as it is much more picturesque. The leaves are starting to turn yellow. I'm so glad we drove this way, even though it takes an extra half-hour to get home.
I hope you had a good weekend, wherever you are. To us, weekends are like mini-vacations. If you think about it, you could have 52 mini-vacations a year! 
 
love, susan 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...