Thursday, September 6, 2012

Am I Blue?


Aren't they beautiful!
I'm a little late in posting this but my sentiments remain the same. In July, I went blueberry picking with Nancy and we had a ball. Neither of us had ever been to a U-Pick blueberry place before but I gotta tell you that it is the way to go if you are looking for premium "blubes".  It was pretty hot by the time we arrived at 10:00a.m. and it only took us 30 minutes to pick 5 lbs. of berries. It didn't seem like too much until we got home and the thought hit us, what are we gonna do with all these berries?

Picking goes faster with someone to help
We made fruit pizza twice and mixed them into a fresh raspberry crisp. The rest I froze in ziplock bags. I'm still enjoying them with my oatmeal every morning. I have one more bag and will have to wait a lot of months to get some more. I now have the idea that one cannot have too many blubes. They are super good for you. I would eat them everyday if I could.

My favorite way to eat frozen blueberries is to add a lot of them to a small amount of yogurt. If you add enough, it will cause the yogurt to start freezing and it is almost like eating ice cream. You should try it just once. I've also seen people put frozen blueberries in a tall glass of milk.
 
Best of all, I won't drive past the blueberry patch without thinking about that great weekend we spent with Nancy. I love seeing where we live through the eyes of visitors. There are still so many places to see here that if I live here another 10 years I doubt I'll get to see everything.
 
What would you do with 5 lbs. of blueberries? Do you have a favorite way you like to eat them?
 
love, susan

6 comments:

  1. MEMORIES are made of this. Was a grea day. I did not get any here. Cry, cry. Next year will not let the berries pass by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not sure why you didn't any. Next time!!

      Delete
  2. I freeze them to use throughout the winter. Blueberry pancakes, and my favorite, blueberries in my banana bread. I want to go to u-pick where i can get that many in such a short time. We didn't have very good berries up here this summer.
    Dani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? I never thought about putting them in banana bread. I still have enough to do that. GREAT idea!

      Delete
  3. A friend of mine just taught me in August to put frozen blueberries in a bowl of milk and keep stirring until the milk turns to "ice cream" (it takes a few minutes). She adds stevia to hers before stirring... but I leave it out. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...