Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Be Nice to Me

Last night, after donating blood, my hubby was really wiped out. He said, "be nice to me, I gave blood today."  And, then he showed me this sticker they gave him at the blood bank. This man makes me laugh!
 
The Red Cross has been calling me from their call center up to 3 times a day to give blood, and I've been ignoring the calls.  I know I should go do it but haven't been able to squeeze it into my schedule.  And the real truth is that I always feel unwell after I give blood. I usually go home after giving blood and crash. It sucks the life out of me.
 
The last time I gave blood was in early summer at a wonderful blood drive at my friend's work place. They do it once a year and always have lunch bags full of sweet stuff to take home as a "thank you". I hate to admit it but between the goodie bags and getting a rare visit with my friend at his work place, it got me there. I also met up with my high school friend's daughter for lunch that day, it was a triple incentive to go. Oh, I just remembered, they also had drawings for gift cards and I won a $25 gift card to a local restaurant. I was a real winner that day!
 
The question is, should there always be a "prize" for doing the right thing?  I don't know but it sure helps pry the time and money from my hands. When I was in Michigan recently, we went to the Oldsmobile museum. We were the only patrons on a Saturday afternoon. There was a classic car inside the building they are raffling off. I bought a ticket for $20. I know my odds of winning are not good but I was telling my kids that I'm always way more tempted to give if there is a chance I might get something back. It feels so wrong to say that.  As a side note, the museum is awesome and I think it should be supported. We paid a fee to get in but the front desk person told me they operate on a shoestring.
 
Writing this post is therapeutic for me. I know there are people depending on us to make sure the blood supply is kept up. What am I going to get back for a day of feeling a little woozy? The knowledge that my blood may likely help save someone's life and a package of awesome Oreo cookies washed down with apple juice.

love, susan

4 comments:

  1. I hear you... I try to remember that I'm not being nice for me, I am being nice for others. I like to hope that maybe the nice things I do for others will inspire them to be nice. Although, I am often challenged when driving. Letting a guy in front of me only to have him cut me off a little while later.

    Be the change you wish to see and all of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it really irks me when they give stuff away for your contribution, like the SHARE campaign here in AK, remember that? They have a series of gifts depending on the dollar amount of your contribution. I would much rather my contribution went directly towards the cause and hold the stupid gifts please. And don't even get me started on the address labels, calendars and note cards I get in the mail from everyone I contribute to....I just wish they'd take my money and use it to cure cancer, diabetes, cystic fibrosis or homelessness.......I really don't need 6 calendars and a lifetime supply of address stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean DM! I think probably in those cases, it's better to donate anonymously so as to cut down on the junk mail.

      Delete
  3. This post was a good reminder for me. I need to make an appointment to donate platelets. My blood (AB+) is not particularly sought after since those of my blood type can receive any blood...we are universal receivers. However, my platelets are in demand and I get calls often, asking me to donate. The problem is... it takes a two hour block of time to donate my platelets, so usually I feel too blasted busy. But I need to take the time. It's the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...