Friday, October 29, 2010

It's All About My Attitude

Writer's block this morning. Well, not really. You guys might find this boring but it's my life.  Yesterday I was sitting at my desk in cubicle nation and actually enjoying being there. How weird is that? I broke it down last night and realize that I really like (so far) working for the new attorney they assigned to me over a month ago. I still have the "old" attorney and he's a riot! Mr. "Pun", himself. But my new assignment does some different, interesting work. I never know what I'll be doing when I sit in my chair every morn @ 8:30 a.m.

Estate planning
My new attorney puts together wills, health care directives & durable power of attorneys.  I get to meet her clients briefly when they sign on the dotted line as I get to "witness" the signing of such documents. We have people from all walks of life visit our office. Very cool.

Contracts
Yesterday, I got to work on an Asset Purchase Agreement, Promissory Note, and a Resolution. I haven't done this kind of work in a long time and it weirdly energized me yesterday. Even stranger, it made me think about high school business classes and all the jobs I've had over the last 30 years ~ retail, hospice, banking, mental health, pumping gas at a Chevron station back in the day when there was no such thing as self-serve (now there's an idea for another post).

Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
Um, yeah, if you have a ton of "jack", you really should have an agreement.  And there are plenty of people in this area who are monied up.  Pre-nups is a strange concept but if you saw what I see, you'd get it.

Setting up Corporations
My new assigned attorney helps people set up their business.  I like love the idea of being part of helping someone get things going even if it is just working in the background as I do. These are the clients who bring us the most awesome treats during the holiday ~ my favorite form of gratitude.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of being assigned a new attorney but I have to say it has turned out differently than I thought it would.  I was telling some friends last night that I often have to let go of my old ideas about things so I can have new experiences.   For me, it's all about my attitude ... am I going to to contribute to the stream of life today or am I going to suck the life out of everyone with my bad attitude.

The best part? My new assigned attorney likes using Bookman Old Style (not sure if that's the exact name) Font.  Can I just tell you how exciting that is after using Times New Roman for the last two years?



3 comments:

  1. Esatate Planning....we need to do that. Can't believe we've been married almost 9 years and have yet to get around to it. Bad us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we will have Suzietude?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzietude. I like it! It I can sell it, I'll give you kickbacks, Nancy. But don't go spending it ahead of time ...

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...