Saturday, September 1, 2018

First Shopping Trip on My September Food Budget Challenege: It Was Tough

We have company coming today so we'll be cooking dinner tonight, breakfast tomorrow and Monday. Dinner Sunday night is up in the air.
 
Needless to say, shopping for company dinner caused my grocery bill to increase a bit. I also had to buy dog food this week. And, sugar. I quit eating sugar about 16 months ago but felt like I should have sugar and creamer on hand for our guests' coffee. It's the right thing to do. It was only a small box but added to my overage.
 
I am only going to list the items that caused me to go over my $50 budget, items I would not have purchased normally:

EXTRAS THIS WEEK
Frozen chicken  5.98
Sugar 2.20
Almond Creamer 3.98
Orange Juice 1.98
Strawberries 1.78
Oranges 1.31
2 green peppers .76
Purple onion  .99
Sausage Patties 2.98
Tortilla chips 2.38
Cheddar Cheese 2.78
5# Potatoes  1.28
Canvas Bag  1.28
Total:  $29.68
Total Grocery Bill:  $87.79 YIKES!

I was thinking about it on the way home ... I always want my guests to feel welcomed and well-fed. I don't push my eating lifestyle on anyone else but I adjust pretty well. We're going to have shish kabobs tonight for dinner. I still have the frozen shrimp I bought last week in the freezer and I'll be putting those on the grill.
 
The real question is do I have enough food to get me through to next Saturday? I believe I have more than enough. I've been eyeing a couple of cans of pineapple I had stashed away when I started bright line eating. It was recommended that I keep them on hand for emergencies ... in case I ran out of fruit and couldn't get to the store. I am not a fan of canned fruit but will eat it in a pinch. A lot of people go without having a meal in this country every day ... you'll never hear me complain about canned pineapple. The other thing is that I have several containers of frozen rice & black beans already premeasured that I can pull out this week. I think I'll also have oatmeal for breakfast this week. And, OH! A friend gave me 18 fresh eggs from her chicken farm that we'll be chowing down.
 
In the end, I know I'm going to have to be an extra good shopper the rest of this month to stay on budget due to this week's bill. Can I do it?  Time will tell.
 
love, susan

3 comments:

  1. We do a lot of meal planning a prep lately too! I just pulled out pork posole from the freezer that we'll eat tomorrow with my brother as he comes over on Mondays. I actually made the posole three weeks ago in the crock pot! There is just something magical about knowing that I already "slaved" to make the meal and that it'll take just 20 minutes to assemble.

    Our routine since moving to Denver is that I make one crockpot meal on Mondays. We eat the same meal on Thursdays since we need a quick dinner before yoga and I freeze half of it for a later week of meals. Of course, the freezer is full now and we have our challenge going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love freezer meals that I've made. Would love to hear what else you put in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually a lot of cooked, shredded meat for tacos. I did just buy Martha Stewart's Slow Cooker book and have been exprimenting with freezing at least half since it always makes enough for 4-6 people.

      The important thing is that I use freezer safe glass containers that can go from the freezer to the fridge for thawing and then to the oven for heating without needing to dirty more dishes.

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...