Saturday, September 22, 2018

September Grocery Challenge: Total Spent to Date $255.35

One more week of the grocery challenge ... and I'm feeling okay about it. I am over my $200 budget but I'm okay with that. I've learned a few things this month that will help me going into next month. I am hoping my daughter-in-law will stick with me for another month of this challenge.  CANNED GOODS Last week, I pulled all my canned goods out of the cupboards and I left them on the counter. It helped a lot to have the cans there staring at me, looking for inspiration. There are now fewer cans remaining because I made a big slow cooker of chicken tortilla soup Monday morning. I dumped several cans of stewed tomatoes along with two cans of different beans (white beans and black beans). I added the half-bag of frozen chicken breasts left over from when our visitors were hear earlier in the month. A couple tablespoons of taco seasoning, chili powder, and cumin made for lovely lunches/dinners for us this week. It tasted extra good knowing I had used all things I already had on hand. I'm a vegetarian but my husband is not so it worked for both of us. I also used up one large can of pineapple by chopping up 2 slices to put in our morning oatmeal power bowls. The 2nd can of pineapple is opened and in a container which will get me thru the weekend of using up that huge container of 2% cottage cheese I bought two weeks ago. I'm almost done with it, thank goodness. I won't be buying that again.  STAR OF THE SHOW The things that made the angels sing this morning at the store were the Bartlett pears. I love this time of year for the change in produce. I'd truly rather have a pear than a candy bar. These lovelies were .40 each. Please don't tell me it costs more to eat well. I will prove you wrong. Grapes are a GREAT deal right now at $1.68/lb. I have them in my basket every week at this price. As much as I love grapes, I will not pay $2.98/lb. when the season passes. Can't do it. Which brings me to thee photo I snapped of the beautiful mangos at $1.48 each. I do love mangos but on a real budget they are not a reality for me. I have a bag of substandard frozen ones in the freezer that will have to do. I also spotted pomegranates but forgot to snap a photo. They are always priced outrageously and it brought back memories of childhood. Mom would buy us one pomegranate as a treat during the season. OMG, it truly was a treat. They are just not a good bargain, that's all.  POTATOES ARE MY JAM As I write this, I have oven fried potatoes in the oven. These are from a 5 lb. bag I bought last week. I've discovered we can get 3 breakfasts from that bag. Dude, that bag was $1.28! We're going to enjoy 2 eggs and salsa with these today.  PUMPKIN TIME! So, I asked my daughter-in-law to help me figure out what to do with the two cans of pumpkin I pulled out of the cupboard. She sent me a recipe that calls for almond nut butter and oats. Although it calls for very expensive almond butter, I'm going to replace that with the fresh ground peanut butter I bought today and also substitute the quinoa flakes with some flax seed. The hubs loves what I call power balls. Great way to use the pumpkin and these are also something I can give to the dogs for treats as well. WASTE NOT WANT NOT THIS WEEK I'm going to open up that can of kidney beans and add those to the top of my salads. I am not a fan of kidney beans but I want to use what I have and I'll get past my pickiness. Waste not want not. WANNA JOIN US? How are your budgeting skills? Can you give me any tips on how I can do this better? Leave me a comment. I love hearing from you. love, susan
 
 from the internet:
The expression waste not, want not means that if you do not use too much of something now you will have some left later when you need it.
...a nation that prides itself on its 'waste not, want not' thrift.
 
 
 
 







4 comments:

  1. Of course I'll join you for another month.

    One one big tip is meal planning and list making. We avoid a lot of overbuying by double checking the pantry before we go grocery shopping.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I actually bought two boxes of Boca burgers that I did not need to buy .. if I only I had looked in the freezer. Added $5 to my bill. LOL! Hey, it all matters. Next month, I am excited to start over.

      Delete
  2. I need to participate in a grocery challenge; I am at that point between paychecks where I'm wondering what I can make with rice, cake mix, and corn, haha!

    Seriously, though...I need to go through my pantry, throw out anything that might be expired, and cook whatever we have left. I have a lot of canned clam chowder, which none of us eat, but I mistakenly bought because it looked just like the cans of baked potato soup. I wonder if that stuff would taste good over rice?

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Choose a budget number and see if you can stay within it for the month of October. I save my receipts and then write about it. You may really enjoy the challenge. I'd love to see your blog posts. Goooo Kim!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...