Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Budget Story: Month Two

Hey All! Not sure how it is already the 23rd of October and I'm just now posting this but better late than never. My daughter-in-law and I are engaged in a budget challenge and this is month 2.  September, I went over my $200 budget by $55.35.
 
Here we are past the mid-marker of October and I have spent $144.11. I think I can stay at or under budget this month! If you are new to this blog post, I am feeding just my husband and me, and three dogs.

 
HOW I'M DOING IT
One item I haven't purchased in October is coffee.  The hubs has a couple of cans of coffee stashed in the pantry. In the interest of staying under budget, I am willing to drink off brand, canned coffee. I put creamer in it. It's hot. It's caffeine. The other thing that happened this month is that I was gone one weekend so I didn't get to the store. Amazing how we can survive a week without shopping. Oh, almost forgot ... some super nice people I take family photos for gave me a huge, whole, fileted salmon. I cooked it for dinner on Sunday and had leftovers for lunch yesterday, dinner for the hubs last night, and plenty enough for lunch again today. Love that!
 
HELLO COSTCO
I visited Costco last weekend. I hate going there but I wanted to buy a brand of black bean burgers I had tried at a friend's house. Since I was there, I picked up other items that will keep us to the end of the month. Hummus times two. The half & half will get me into November easily. I wish I didn't hate going to Costco so much. It's the crowds. Perhaps I'll learn to get over that. The one impulse purchase was the Sweet Hot Chili Sauce, didn't need it. On the upside, I have enough frozen cherries and blueberries to take me well into November. I bought a couple of large bags of mixed greens so we're into salad this week.
 
THINGS
I'VE
LEARNED
Last week I bought 5 bananas. Now, I'm not much of a banana eater but I love it in my oatmeal. I have discovered that I actually like it in my oatmeal better when the brown spots appear. No more waste. We ate them all. I also have been adding nut butter (protein) to our morning power bowls. I still have some black beans and brown rice in the freezer for that morning when I simply can't stand the thought of oatmeal one more day. Truly though, I rarely get tired of oatmeal. It's so good for you!

I have 8 days left in October and $55.89 to spend. I still have to buy something for the office Halloween thing. Our office invites employees to bring their kids in to trick-or-treat and we get a nice turn out. I usually buy microwave popcorn instead of candy. The kids love it and it isn't any more expensive than candy. With what I have in the fridge right now, I don't think I'm going to need a trip to the store.

Feeling good about my budget this month.

Do you have a food budget? How are you doing?  Would love to hear your ideas and thoughts on budgeting. Leave me a comment!

love, susan

2 comments:

  1. A trip to Costco usually blows my budget, so I am impressed that you are under budget this month. *clap, clap clap*

    As for the Costco crowds... I find it less crowded when I go as soon as the store opens on Saturday mornings. (Also fewer people there around 3:00 on a weekday...parents are getting kids from school and not at the store...but that time frame probably doesn't mesh with your work schedule.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate going to Costco so when I do, I make it count. :-)

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...