Monday, January 8, 2018

Winter Thoughts: A Life List

Weather This Week The temps this week are going tropical: 38, 44, 46, 53, and 51. This time last year, we were buried in snow. This is much better.
 
My Favorite Moment Last Week I had far too many favorite moments last week to pick just one. We traveled to Portland for a late Christmas visit. If I had to choose my favorite moment, it was hugging our oldest grandson who dropped by in the evening to say hello. He has moved out on his own and we have kept him in our thoughts as life was a bit stressful for him for awhile. His girlfriend has a big dog and it turns out that dog is truly the love of his life. If you've ever doubted the super power of having an animal, let me tell you that they can be the magic key to happiness for many people. Our grandson was smiling and genuinely happy to see us but his face lit up when he talked about "Eddy" the German Shepherd. The other great moments were all the laughs we had with the rest of the family.
 
What's (NOT) Right in the World As politics sink deeper and deeper into the muddy swamp, moving to another country is sounding better by the minute. My hubs would love to move out of here and I could definitely get on board with that when I am no longer working. A family member has a friend who is living in Ecuador and I'm hoping to hook up with her via email and find out about the ex pat community there, just for grins and giggles. I've never completely ruled out living in another country and it is likely a dream of his that will not come true but I've also still got a ton of wanderlust in my veins, so who knows? I'm about as disgusted as anyone else about our current political affairs.
 
What I'm Resisting I start my new position in a couple of weeks and I am keeping fear at arm's length. I've always been ruled by fear but I don't let it show often. Every day I get up and journal, that's how I keep the resistance to fear at bay. I've worked very hard over the last almost two decades to not live in fear. I refuse to backslide now.
 
What I'm Thinking My stepdaughter is living in a house that is kind of falling down around her heels. Something is always in need of repair. Last night she texted that the garbage disposal died and stenchy water had backed up into her dishwasher. My hubs  (her dad) thinks she and I both overreact to such dilemmas so I had to educate him a bit on what it's like to be a mother, worker, house person who is in charge of every single aspect of running said household 24/7. Yes, it is traumatic when the thought of not being able to wash the dishes for god-knows-how-long is hanging over your head. We have the same thing going on here at our 74 year old house. I'm always waiting for the next thing to break down. I'm sick of it. And, I'm sick of being patronized for it. We women folk just want shit to work. We don't think it's too much to ask. That's all. Rant over.
 
Quote I Want to Share
“There is an ancient conversation going on
between mosses and rocks,
poetry to be sure." 
~ Robin Wall Kimmerer~
 
What's On My Camera We chased the sun on Saturday all the way through The Dalles to Portland. It's amazing how quickly blue skies can change one's mood. We were much happier for it. I love the moss colors on the west side. Driving home yesterday made me realize why the hubby likes loves it over in the Portland area so much. Even on gray days, the green trees are enough color to keep a person sane throughout the winter. So, if we don't move out of the country, maybe Portland. (laughing hysterically as I write this) I'm not a future tripper and I am not a naysayer. It could happen.
 
What the Future Holds I'm meeting a dog on my lunch hour today to shoot some pics for his rescue site profile. His name is Hank. I've never met him before but I'm certain he'll be the best part of my day. I don't have any other plans on my calendar right now but that doesn't mean I'm not thinking of things to do. The grandkids got their grandpa a new vegetarian cookbook that I'm going to dive into this week.
 
If This Happens to Be My Last Day on Earth, Here is My Final Thought I hope I did my best. And, oh, I love you!
 
love, susan

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your post reminded me how, when my husband was in the Navy, every time my husband went to sea, THAT's when everything would break down. It became a running joke whenever he prepared for patrol, we would guess what would go wrong "this time." Then, during his last patrol, nothing went wrong... but I kept waiting for it... and waiting for it and waiting... and *that* almost drove me crazier! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always joked about moving to Canada. I still have family there. Meanwhile I have expat cousins in Switzerland, France, and England. But I'd miss my children. I do not know how my cousin manages with two of her kids in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would choose someplace warm. It's definitely in the realm of possibility for us. Stay tuned!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...