Friday, January 5, 2018

Go Get It!

This has been an interesting week. If dancing on New Year's eve for 3 hours straight wasn't enough, I went to work on Tuesday and landed a new position. I'll start the first of February. I've been doing the same job for 5 years and have enjoyed almost every single day of it. When a new position was created, I looked at it and decided it is something I'd be very interested in doing so I put my name in the hat. I'll admit it causes a slight amount of fear to give up the familiar. I truly love serving the public and in my new job it will be behind the scenes, not out front. If there is one thing I've learned in my long working life, if I'm not happy where I am, I can always move. This knowledge has served me well for a long time.
 
I also talked on the phone with a friend who is vacationing in Italy right now. She will have been there 28 days by the time she returns. I had no idea I'd be able to talk to her without her racking up a huge phone bill but technology has never been my strong suit. Yesterday she had rented a car and drove out to the country to stay at an old castle. The images she sent make me want to go. Her son is stationed there for another 4 years so perhaps she'll let me tag along next time she goes.
 
A guy came into our office on Wednesday asking if his son would be brought over from the jail to drug court. I did a little inquiring and got the answer he was looking for. As he was leaving he said, "Thank you, this is the second time I've been to this office and you were really helpful the last time and I really appreciate it." These are moments I live for. I hope my new co-worker and the person replacing me will carry those customer service skills forward. It's an internal job, the love of people.
 
For the second time this week, I'm going to lunch with a friend. I'm taking the afternoon off to get some errands done since we'll be away for the weekend. For a week that started out with nothing on my calendar, it has been eventful. Seems like I'm always cramming a lot into a short amount of time but that's my life and I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. Would you?
 
How was your week? Did you have some extraordinary moments? Tell me!
 
love, susan
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job. New year, new job. Sounds fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little bit on Cloud 9 right now. 2017 was awfully good to me and 2018 has not been bad so far.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the new job! Its been a great start to a New year! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job. And it is so nice when someone appreciates what we do. When I was getting ready to retire, all these folks showed up at my office to tell me how great I was and how much I would be missed. If they had been that supportive during my career, I may not have left when I did. I guess you don't miss good politicians until they are gone, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?!! I was listening to Prince William interview President Obama last night and almost cried. We have an idiot running our country now.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your new job. I hope you will like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to find your blog. Good luck with your new job and happy new year wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love it when the perfect job comes along and you score it? I hope it goes fabulously for you. I left a job that I'd become really unhappy with and thought nobody would employ a midlifer - how wrong I was! We are a great resource and it's nice to see employers recognize that - I hope your new position turns out to be even better than you expected x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I would like to think I'm part of a pool of great resources. I am definitely from a generation of people who show up on time, work hard while I'm on the clock, and embrace a teamwork attitude. I always do my best to impart those qualities onto younger people I work with but it often falls on deaf ears. I don't lie, I'll be glad to out of the work force sooner rather than later but until then I want to challenge myself a bit.

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...