Saturday, April 6, 2019

Redneck Gardening 101

The garden got some of my attention today. My back is feeling it, too. Last fall, for some reason, I didn't get dead stuff picked up like I usually do so it has been waiting for me. I'm really not a good gardener but I do enjoy putzing around outdoors, picking things up and trying to make it look nicer. Once I am retired, I hope to spend a lot more time trying to grow more. I really like perennials but I have to put them in  decidedly so I can fence them off from the dogs until they take good root. My dogs think I plant things for them to later dig up. Home wreckers, all three of them.
 
I planted some sunflower seeds in dirt in an egg carton today and made a little terrarium with a produce bag. My mother would be proud of my ability to scrounge around and see what I can find to make it all work. The solo cups with tomato plants were given to me by a friend who apparently has this gardening thing down. I'll be placing these tomato plants in a topsy turvy planter and hanging them out in another two weeks. It is still too cold to put them out.
 
Near my house, there is a guy who has several potted cactus, mostly chicks & hens strategically placed in his side yard that I'd like to copy. I have no original ideas when it comes to placing things in my garden so I'm always on the look out for something that I can copy.
 
Tomorrow, I'm going to tackle the cactus garden I have out near the street. I'll take a before and after photo so I can feel good about myself when it's all done.
 
Do you garden? What would you recommend for a person who has little gardening skills who needs something easy to grow to make her feel about the time spent?  Tell me!
 
love, susan

4 comments:

  1. I love growing pole beans. They taste so much better than the bush variety, in my opinion, and they are easy and quick to grow. You need to have a support for the beans to grow up on, and then that makes a pretty architectural feature. I have mine growing in containers and I incline the bamboo supports so they form an archway.
    You can see an example here: https://www.widowbadass.com/2018/06/30/june-wrap-up-changingseasons/

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks fun! I definitely have enough space to do that. I will give it a try and then write about it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Understanding the kinds of plants generally fit to the climate and the atmosphere is fundamental to effective effect gardening. look this link about pole saws and garden tols

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly appreciate this blog article. Much thanks again. Cool.Botanic Wire

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...