Monday, October 16, 2023

You Made My Day, Dude!


A couple weeks ago
while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction where a flagger was stationed. The very long lane of traffic behind us was flowing but I could see a guy in the opposite direction trying to turn across my lane and I stopped to let him go before the flagger had time to put his stop sign up toward me. The flagger was a young guy and as he turned around and saw I had stopped, he looked straight at me, pointed his finger, and yelled YOU ROCK! It totally made my day, dude.

Earlier that day, I had attended an AA meeting where I was one of four people in attendance. I really needed that meeting, and God knew I really needed it to be small. Those old weathered guys were so welcoming and it got my day off to a good start. 

Last week, I traveled to the Tricities to spend a couple of days with some great friends. The first night I was there, we attended their homegroup meeting and I saw a girlfriend I was hoping to run into while there. She didn’t see me when she first entered the room and I watched as her eyes skimmed over me 3 times before it registered with her that yes, it was me. Her smile, laughter, and tight hug remain with me as I write this. She told me she never goes to that meeting. 

That night after the meeting, while I was standing outside catching up with old friends, a guy who heard I was a visitor in the meeting walked up to me and gave me a thumb drive with all the speakers from the weekend AA roundup that had happened the week before I was there … what a great gift. 

Before all of this, I had stopped to get gas in Oregon where they passed a law that now allows you to pump your own gas. Before I could get out of my car, a really nice guy came flying out the door to pump gas for me as he complimented my smile. He said even though the cashiers are not required to pump gas any longer, he likes to do it … and I let him! We had the nicest conversation and that was the beginning of another great day as I picked up my cousin for lunch at the beach.

Today I woke up and experienced some pet peeves that I kind of stewed about for awhile. I wrote another post about that but it will never see the light of day. Man, there is so much good in the world, why would I dwell on the negatives? I don’t know … sometimes I just do. But I don’t need to spread it.

That flagger dude is how I want to be. I want to catch people rocking it! It’s easy to see what’s wrong in the world but wouldn’t be better if we pointed out the good instead? I don’t know … call me Pollyanna … you wouldn’t be the first.

love, susan

#warmfuzzies


No comments:

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...