Thursday, January 31, 2019

Why Write?

Four cups of coffee in this morning and I'm ready to take control of the world. I deactivated my FB account for my annual month-long hiatus from that social media platform. I still have an Instagram account but I find I don't spend nearly as much time browsing there. I discovered a setting on FB this morning that shows how much time I average browsing for the week. This week it was 1.25 hours a day. When I see it that way, I cannot afford it. It's a bit like buying a Starbucks coffee every day. I don't think much about it but when I add it up at the end of the month, I want that money back, right? I want my time back. Switching gears now. Stay with me.
 
Morning Pages.  If you don't know what morning pages are, just Google it. I've been writing morning pages for a quite awhile now but sometimes I get distracted by social media, podcasts, audible books, old fashioned hold in your hands books, and just about anything that will keep me from writing. My goal this month is to get back to morning pages every day. And, step on the treadmill. Are you still with me?
 
During my morning pages today, I was thinking about a pen pal I used to correspond with often. She was from Katy, Texas. I sent a card at Christmas time and it was returned. She must have closed her post office box. I haven't seen her post on her blog in about a year. I don't know what happened to her. I write about it here and hope maybe she is reading this so she'll know I am thinking of her. I have another pen pal who lives in Arizona now. (I wish there was a font for envy!) Anyway, I placed her name and address in my journal just in case I get hit by a truck today. I'd want whoever reads my journals to send her a note and let her know what happened to meThese are the things I think about when I journal. Call me crazy.
 
Lastly, I just Googled the words Why write? and here are some most excellent quotes that I can relate to. I have to write. FACT: When I get distracted by other things, I am less happy.
 
My favorite quote from this site
 
“Writing eases my suffering . . . writing is my way
of reaffirming my own existence.” – Gao Xingjian
 
Raising my coffee cup to you this morning and getting back to it.
 
love, susan
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Social media IS a giant time-suck, I agree. I struggle with staying off it, for my mental health (LOL!) and productivity. But it's also where I find out what is going on in the larger world as I don't watch the news or read a newspaper. But since most of the news is depressing, why do I even want to know?
    Good luck with your goals, Susan. I too want to get back to morning pages...it may have to wait 'til retirement though.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...