Thursday, April 5, 2018

Giving Up Things That No Longer Serve You

Hey all! This week has gotten away from me. That's always a good thing for me. I'd much rather be busy than sitting in my chair wishing my time away.
 
Last week, the hubby hauled in 20 boxes of vinyl records from the garage that have to go live somewhere else. There are still 10 boxes in the garage and we estimate there are 1,700+ albums in his collection. Long story short, he found a record seller up in Yakima and took the first 10 boxes up to him yesterday. Such a relief. I looked into doing the selling myself on Amazon but realized quickly it would be a full-time job getting them inventoried and graded. There isn't enough time in the world for me to care enough about that. We've been together 17 years and those records have been sitting in boxes for that long and are slightly bent from the heat of Arizona. I played a couple of them on the record player I bought last weekend and they play fine.
 
While I was peeking in the boxes I found England Dan and John Ford Coley's album. It instantly reminded me of my best friend from high school. I don't why. I cannot remember their hits but it seems to me she loved them. Or was it Seals & Croft? Then, I saw Rod Stewart peeking from another box. I love him. I'm not ashamed to say it. Back in the day, he was often the background music for my partying nights. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy! OMG, I loved the late 70's and 80's ... glad I survived ... nothing short of a miracle.
 
The Little River Band was there when I was going into my 20's and 30's. Their songs bring up memories, mostly good ones. If I looked in those boxes more, I could find some AC/DC, Aerosmith, Prince, you name it ... it would be there. Hubs was a true record collector. I say was because somewhere along the line, he wasn't interested in any longer. He never played those records in all the last 17 years. They have been taking up space.
 
We are transitioning our lives in anticipation of moving sometime between now and next May. There is a lot to remove before that can happen. I've been downsizing hard for the last year and still there is so much stuff to rehome. Stuff that just weighs us down and collects dust. For me, the process helps me think twice before I buy anything new. He seems to have gone through a grieving process and is on the other side of it now because he is willing to give up "the stuff" that we simply cannot move one more time.
 
While this post may be a lot to do about nothing, I needed to write today.
 
Have you had to give up things that no longer serve you?
 
love, susan
 


8 comments:

  1. I really wish I had digitized all my old albums before getting rid of them. Cassette tapes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would be from now until 20 years from now digitizing all the hubs has collected. I'm so over it.

      Delete
  2. I'm a hoarder. I should be ashamed to admit it, but... well :) It's only when I've moved that I realize just how much stuff I've managed to accumulate—and then the clean-out happens. And I can vouch for the lightness of spirit and mind that brings... So I'm not sure why I fall back into the hoarding. Maybe one day I'll get better at it :)

    A couple of months ago, my partner heard from his brother back in the Netherlands (he's Dutch) that they'd sold off his—my partner's—old LPs. Which, by the way, he hadn't given even a thought to in the two decades since he moved here to Curaçao. But he was still a little upset about it, haha. Likes attract, I suppose.

    Thanks so much for the visit over at Life In Dogs earlier today, and for your super kind offer. I'm thrilled to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is something in psyche that needs material things to hang on to. I'm missing that from mine. I've never been sentimental about anything I own.

      Talk with you soon.

      Delete
  3. So sorry that I got rid of a lot of my albums when they are so in demand today. Now, I rarely listen to music so most of my stuff is going in the garage sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinyl is a hot commodity right now among the youngsters.

      Delete
  4. We got rid of a bunch of stuff a year and a half ago. We thought we were going to move at that time, so took several loads of stuff to a thrift store, and sold a few items too. I'm so glad we did that, because now we are moving for sure and it's nice not dealing with the extra "stuff". Still... I am trying to get rid of even more stuff as I pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time, today i find it finally. this post give me lots of advise it is very useful for me. vy tea

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...