Tuesday, May 1, 2018

One Year: I Am Free

I only have 10 minutes to write this post before I have to get in the shower so I'm going to make a bullet point post. Today is my one year anniversary of making a decision to change my eating plan. I wrote some notes about this journey that I'll leave here to maybe explore in further posts.
  • That moment in Nashville when I admitted to my friend that I was miserable in my own skin
  • Bought the book "Bright Line Eating" by Susan Pierce Thompson, PhD.
  • Read the book
  • Made a decision to try this program for 30 days
  • Cleaned out my fridge and cupboards
  • Bought fresh food to make a clean start
  • Started my journey on May 1, 2017
  • In July I saw the movie "What the Health" and decided to go plant based
  • Learned that food is fuel, not entertainment, not a drug
  • Sugar craving disappeared after the first 48 hours
  • Journaled every day including my food plan for the day, made my bed, read something uplifting
  • Didn't freak out, learned that I won't starve to death
  • Have replaced cow's milk with almond milk and canned coconut milk for coffee
  • Tried new things like tofu in my pho (Thai noodle soup)
  • Eat two apples every day
  • Plan ahead when I travel
  • Doctor took "obese" off my medical chart
I'm down 30 lbs. and struggling to get the last 15 off. I've decided to read the book again and make a new 30 day commitment to follow the bright lines that I know works for me.
 
I am free from the constant craving for sugar. I never thought it would happen. During one episode of a relapse, I had one little old chocolate covered cherry at a potluck we attended which led to eight more going in my pie hole. Screw that. It was a hard lesson to relearn something I already know. I cannot successfully eat sugar in any form without it flipping on a switch in my brain.
 
May 1, 2018 is going to be a good day!
 
love, susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...