Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Moments of Clarity: That Moment in Nashville and Many Others

That moment in Nashville I talked about in my bullet points yesterday ... yeah about that. I have had a few moments of clarity in my life and Nashville was one of them. My friend and I were laying around after a day of playing tourist, just talking and catching up with each other. I don't know what led to me saying it out loud but I told her I was tired of carrying around this extra bag of groceries in my gut. I was so uncomfortable all the time. I tried concealing my weight gain over the years by always wearing layered clothing, as if that could hide it. Ugh. Anyone who has extra weight knows what I'm talking about. It was hard to admit. She listened. She didn't tell me what I needed to do. She told me what she did to shed some pounds. She shared her experience.
 
I've had many other moments of clarity. Sometimes I chose to ignore them. Like the time I married someone, ignoring the nagging voice in my mind that it was the hugest mistake I was about to ever make. Yes, I did that. Or, the time I agreed to be the designated driver and ended up drinking and driving my friends home. So dumb. Oh, here's a good one. Once when I was a teen, I stuck my finger in the beaters of a hand mixer because I wanted to know what would happen. My mom was horrified and I was immediately sorry I had done it because I wasn't sure how to get my finger out of the beater. I can here her voice saying, Sue, what were you thinking?, to which I replied, "I just wanted to know what would happen." I have the slightest scar on my finger from that decision  all these years later to remind me to not be so impulsive. Luckily, I escaped those bad decisions. The clarity of the moments remain.
 
I haven't stuck my hand in a beater since then. Bad decisions have still been made. I have a mind that never shuts off. I've learned to stop making snap decisions. I sleep on good ideas for a long time these days. I don't share a lot of my ideas with others because I don't necessarily want to hear their opinion. I hold out for hearing experience. Your experience matters to me.
 
Tomorrow perhaps I'll write about some good decisions I've made.
 
Have you had moments of clarity? Tell me about them!
 
love, susan
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...