Saturday, January 14, 2017

On Microwaving Gloves

I've been spending a lot of time in my home office this week. I don't mind. Remi loves to keep me company.
 It has been so cold outdoors that our heat pump cannot keep up and most days this week we have woken up to 51 degrees indoors. Brrrr. Thank goodness we kept this little heater we bought in Arizona for such days. Who knew we'd need it here? This week I've learned that heat pumps are not really made for this kind of extreme cold. I'm not complaining. I've had things way worse in my lifetime.

When I was in high school, we traveled many times in the middle of winter on the lonely Alaska highway with temps down in the minus 20's. Today I think back on that and wonder what would have happened if we had ever broken down. In the middle no-freaking-where. With no cell phones. Would we have frozen to death? I shudder to think about it. 

We are fast approaching an all-time record amount of snowfall for this area. Today I finally got into the closet and dug out an oversized warm coat that I should have searched for days ago. I am an eternal optimist and kept thinking I'd wake up to warmer weather every day this week. 

Earlier in the week, my hubby melted my newest pair of gloves I bought when I was in Montana. Apparently, he places his gloves in the microwave to warm them up. Say what? He was trying to do a nice thing but my gloves were obviously made from some kind of plastic because those suckers melted. He kind of giggled when he told me. I guess he knew how I would react. I loved those gloves. When I was telling a work friend about it, we got a good laugh. We just shake our heads and wonder what goes through a guy's mind. Who microwaves gloves?

Well, this all a lot to do about nothing, I know. I wake up every day lately with aches and pains I didn't have before. I blame it on the cold. Hubby says if I hurt now, just wait until I'm 65. Maybe we'll just move back to Arizona. I'm ready.

love, susan



4 comments:

  1. bet you are ready for warm weather next month

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your gloves, but that's a fun story!

    I am all for warmth!

    A week and a half ago, after a snowstorm, we had a white-knuckle drive to the airport and flew to Arizona for a grandson's birthday. A few hours later I was sitting in my shirtsleeves, watching grandkids play at a park, basking in the sunshine and thinking, "I could get used to this!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was only trying to do something nice for you! I am sorry, but I laughed too! Hopefully you can replace them with some you will love as much!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...