Sunday, March 17, 2019

March Mood: Don't Give Up

Have you ever met people for the first time and you just have to know more about them? It happened to me yesterday when I showed up for book club. Let me back up a minute. 💝 A casual friend mentioned on FB that part of her New Year's resolution was to do a few things she'd been thinking about and one of them was to start a book club. I have always wanted to be in a book club but never had the courage to either start one or join one with people I don't know. 💚 Long story short, a couple of women who all know each other got together for coffee and we started a book club. Ironically, the idea person hasn't been to a meeting since that first one but we are not giving up on her. We just keep making it go and grow. Two new women joined us for coffee yesterday and after a lot of discussion, we discovered all of us yearn to be creative in one way or another. 💙 One of the ways I stay creative when I haven't energy for anything else is my breakfast presentation. I like color and texture. Give me a serving of oatmeal and I will add cherries and almonds to it in just the right way to make it look gourmet. 💋 Our little club decided to read The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown this month. Luckily, I already had purchased it on Audible and I'm now looking forward to hearing it and having a reason to meet for coffee with these fantastic women.

THE MORAL to this story is don't quit just because there is a lull. I had a lurking feeling that perhaps book club was not going to make it past March but my commitment-junkie friend came through with some new blood and it's just what we needed. Our original founder may even join us again at the next meeting. We never know what is happening in other people's lives that pulls them away so my motto is to just keep showing up and see what happens.

Do you belong to a book club, or have you ever wanted to? If so, how many members do you have? What book are your reading right now? 

love, susan



4 comments:

  1. One of my post working-life goals (when I get there, not there yet) is to be part of a book club. I have a relative who has been in the same book club with the same women for over 10 years!!! I think that may be an anomaly. Like you say, people will join with great intentions but then life pulls them away. Hope your club goes the distance, Susan!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love The Gifts of Imperfection, and own a copy of it!

    I belonged in a neighborhood book group (we didn't call it a club since it wasn't exclusive...anyone could come) that began in 2014 and was well attended. People came and went and the founder passed away (cancer) but made sure to pass the baton to a reliable lady who has kept it going. I sorely miss that group since moving to AZ. BUT... it so happens that one gal who used to attend that group moved to AZ a few years ago, so when I arrived I contacted her and asked if she had found a new book group and sure enough she had! So now I attend that one. It's a bit of a drive (about 22 mins from my place) but I really like the group and their book selections. January we read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert; February we read Slave Stealers: True Accounts of Slave Rescues - Then and Now (oh my... what an eye-opener); and for March we are reading a choice of two books (I read them both) "The Gratitude Diaries" by Janice Kaplan (excellent! I bought a copy) and "365 Thank Yous" by John Kralik.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 365 Thank Yous ... that sounds like one I'd love! How neat that you reconnected with a book club member ... I love that!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...