Friday, February 2, 2018

Cave-Man Moves

You never know what it is that's going to put the hook in you.
 
I had coffee with a couple of friends this week and one of them said, "aren't you glad you're not single?"  Yeah, I'm glad about that. I see friends and family struggling with this whole modern dating scene and I simply don't understand it all.
 
One of the frequent comments I hear from serial daters is 'there was just no connection'. Whatever that means (rolling my eyes here). I'm left wondering how people can "make a connection" when they've only spent 60 minutes over a cup of coffee, or a burger, or drinks. Seems like an expectation that is doomed to fail every single time. But, that's just me. I was never a dater. I'm pretty sure I'd suck at it.
 
Last night, my hubby made a trip to the store in the cold, pouring rain to fetch some half & half for me. I had used the last of it and I knew I'd be unhappy if I didn't have it for this morning's cup. I am pretty low maintenance in the happy department. He was rewarded with a full body hug and kisses on his neck for bringing back the kill. Think caveman.
 
I woke up this morning and while pouring the creamer in my cup I was thinking back to the very moment this man put the lasting hook in me. Very early (maybe day 3) in our relationship we took off from his home in Longview, Washington on a camping trip that lasted what seemed like two weeks. If you want to get to know someone really well, I highly recommend a road trip complete with camping gear. We traveled to eastern Oregon and Washington in September. Beautiful trip.
 
One morning, we woke up in either Lewiston, Idaho or Clarkston, Washington. They are on the border and I can never remember which one it was. Doesn't matter. We woke up. In a cheap motel. After a beautiful night. This is a PG rated blog so you can let your imagination run wild here but I never kiss and tell, okay? He got dressed and walked across the street to the gas station and returned with a steaming-hot cup of coffee with cream and sugar. It was the kindest thing anyone had done for me in a very long time. I cried. He had no idea what he had just done.
 
You see. It's the thoughtful things people do for us that matter. It isn't the way they look, or the shape of their teeth, or the color of their eyes. It's those kind gestures. More than just opening a door or paying for dinner. It is knowing those little things about us that stick and stay.  How can you know those things in 60 minutes?
 
So, I say to all you daters out there ... give love a chance. At least give it a second chance. You may be overlooking the very thing you are seeking if you don't give more to it than a few minutes and a glance.
 
It's February and besides all the summer months, this is my favorite month. I love everything hearts and Valentine cards and all the mushy things that go along with it. I love love. I am not a hopeless romantic but I love seeing my friends at work receive flowers from their loved ones. But that half & half was better than any card he could ever give me and he knows it.
 
When and how did they put the hook in you? Do you ever give them a second look? Are you a serial dater?  Tell me!
 
love, susan



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I wish I could remember the exact thing my husband said or did that hooked me. Our relationship was a slow build through hand-written letters. He met me while he was on military leave, but I was dating someone else. He stole my address and began writing to me. When his first letter arrived, I was completely stunned, and thrilled. We wrote to each other for a year and it was through those letters we fell in love. He returned when he had military leave again and we finally shared those wonderful words, "I love you." He proposed and I accepted before we even went on a date.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...