Thursday, December 28, 2017

Changing It Up

I'm 3 days away from taking a month-long hiatus from social media. I'm not sure now how many years in a row I've done this but I am truly looking forward to it. By the time I get to the place where I know I need the break, I'm already spending way too much time on FB. I had a sweet conversation with a co-worker yesterday who hasn't been on FB for a very long time. She says she reads more national news in her spare time and that makes her happy. And, then another co-worker says she doesn't get invited to some events because she isn't on FB. There is that. Hope my friends don't forget me in a whole month. But, mostly I wonder what I'll accomplish by not staring at my screen constantly.
 
Anyway, I'm also changing up my weekly life list because I have been a bit bored with my previous format. Everything is subject to change, ya know. I'm also going to focus on reading, writing, and photography in January and try to bring it back here.
 
Until then, I'm going into 2018 with my new theme word, resist. This word has so many possibilities.
 
RESIST
  • temptations
  • too many commitments
  • negativity
  • hoarding
  • consumerism
  • boredom
  • race brain
I'm excited to see where 31 days of change will take me. In the meantime, I hope I can come back here and have something to write about. I've been in a real funk lately. The only way I know to get out of it is to get out of the house and take road trips on the weekends. Drive down a road I've never been on. Have coffee in a store front I always pass by. Talk to people. Change the font. Walk a different route. Move my furniture. Clean out the fridge.
 
What do you do to get out of a funk?
 
love, susan

4 comments:

  1. When you say a month-long hiatus from social media, will that include your blog? (I hope not, but I understand if it is.) I took what I thought would be a two week hiatus from FB and it turned into 2 years (and counting). I have missed a few invitations to events, but most people have learned to text me if they want me there.

    What do I do to get out of a funk? I find ways to laugh... watch a funny movie, read a funny story, read excerpts from my humor notebook, call a silly friend, observe what's happening in my life through the perspective of a comedian. Laughing flips a switch in my brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely you'll find me here. I'll be writing more!

      Delete
  2. I'm so impressed with your month break from FB Susan - I don't think I could do it, but I am aware of how much time I waste on it and I choose to not have Twitter or IG so I don't get sucked down those rabbit holes!
    I'm looking forward to reading what you learned during your break. And as for getting out of a funk - I walk, read, drink coffee and hang out with people who care. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poor friends and family always receive a lot more emails from me ... long, probably sometimes boring emails. I have a need to write and it gets thwarted sometimes by my constant distractions. I do love Instragram for it's briefness. I recently opened up an old Twitter account and watched it for about a month and it did not hold my interest so I deactivated it. Anyway, thanks for dropping in and Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...