Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Mini Dreams

It happened today. I found my people!
 
When my son gave me this car (Mini Cooper S), we had a nice talk about all the little bells and whistles. I had forgotten it has heated seats until a couple of weeks ago when I was complaining about being cold. He had to remind where to locate the button for that great luxury.
 
On the front of this car, there is a little round magnet holder called a grill badge. He had a couple of magnets to choose from but I chose the heart one. "It's a Mini thing, mom". He told me that I'll probably start looking at all the grills on Minis to see what badge they have. He was right. I have yet to see one here but I think that goes with the territory. We're a little weird behind the times on this side of the mountain.
 
Having a Mini Cooper was never my dream. It was his dream. But when he said they were downsizing and wanted to give me the car, I was thrilled to pieces. I had sold my motorcycle last spring after making the decision that I didn't need to be riding any longer. My son thought having a convertible might be just as fun as motorcycling for me. Some will debate this but I believe he was right. Besides having the top down, the two best things about this Mini is she flies like the wind and corners like nothing I've ever driven before. I love this car.
 
So about today. Another Mini driver waived at me. Not the kind of wave where you put your whole hand up to say HEY, I'M HERE, LOOK AT ME!  No. This was kind of like a motorcycle wave. A cool wave. Like, "hey, I know how you feel in that Mini". It was an electric-blue racing-striped coupe, kind of like a little brother to mine. I was thrilled but kept my head and gave a cool wave back.
 
Now I feel like I've been inducted into the Mini Cooper Club. Every morning on my way to work, a smoky colored Mini and I cross paths at about the same intersection. Dude, I'm waiving tomorrow. The cool wave. The kind where you don't take your hand off the wheel but you lift  a couple of fingers and maybe even tip your head in a knowing way. Cuz, now I know the dream. And, maybe, just maybe, this side of the mountain will be a little less weird and a little more friendly. Keep spreading the love, Mini people!
 
love, susan
 

3 comments:

  1. After a friend of mine saw The Italian Job (2003), she HAD to have a Mini-Cooper. She loves it. They are fun cars to drive, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I must watch The Italian Job as I have never seen or heard of it before. Merry Christmas to you Trudy! Hope all is well. Perhaps I'll have some time to sit down and write you an old fashioned letter. 2018 Goal!

      Delete
    2. Be sure to watch the 2003 version. (It's been years since I've seen the older version so I can't recall if it features Mini-Coopers.)

      Delete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...