Monday, July 31, 2017

End of July 2017: A Life List

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW There is not a cloud in the sky. We are going up to 109 this week. Hello scorching hot summer. For some unknown reason, the hubby decided to turn off the automatic sprinkler system. I noticed yesterday the lawn was looking crispy but when one of my favorite flowering bushes in the herb garden was looking very droopy I decided to investigate. Now is not the time to conserve water.
 
WEEKEND REVIEW My weekend went to the dogs. Saturday we drove out to a park to sit under a shade tree and watch the air show. We saw an F-22 do all kinds of amazing maneuvers in the sky. I loved it. Later in the day, I attended a picnic put on for the volunteers in the dog rescue group I am involved with. There were 5 dogs in attendance along with about a dozen women dedicated to helping animals any way we can. On Sunday, I drove out in the orchards to a friend's house to photograph her English Bulldogs. I spent an hour, mostly at ground level, shooting fun images for her. I sent her the images and within a half hour I received a phone call from her. She said the photos way exceeded any expectation she had and that she was sure her husband would be in tears when he sees them. This really made my day. I was super happy with the work I had done so it was reassuring to get that call. I took naps on both days as the heat really drained my energy. I was hardly indoors all weekend except for the naps.
 
WHAT I'M LEARNING During the picnic for the rescue team, I realized that I can be a part of something and just do my part. I don't have to do other people's tasks. I think that's where burnout happens. This has taken me a long time to learn.
 
WHAT I'M CREATING I'm still working on creating better space in my home. Actually, freeing up space so I can create. It has been a slow process eliminating stuff that accumulates in every nook and cranny. I cannot stand it.
 
WHAT I'M READING I haven't picked up a book in weeks. I've been too busy doing other things. I miss reading and as soon as I get my office back in order, I'm going to start a new book. I cannot sit in chaos and be peaceful enough to read. Plus, I'm spending a great deal of time outdoors. I have listened to a few podcasts, that's always fun. My daughter-in-law gave me a long list of podcasts she listens to so I've got some choices now.
 
WHAT I'M WATCHING I tried to start a new Netflix series called College Friends last night but found myself too distracted to pay attention to it. Summer is not when I want to be sitting in front of a TV screen.
 
WHAT'S ON MY CAMERA Dogs!
 
A QUOTE I WANT TO SHARE
 

A PEEK INTO MY WEEK I've got some fun stuff lined up for a couple evenings. Tomorrow night we're driving out to Prosser to watch a border collie demonstration of Frisbee tricks and other fun things. I've got a puppy shoot on Wednesday, lunch and coffee with two friends this week.
 
A FINAL THOUGHT I made a new friend last week while I did a photo session out in the country. Made new friends at the picnic on Saturday. I've been thinking a lot about the theory of six degrees of separation. Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world are six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps. It was originally set out by Frigyes Karinthy in 1929 and popularized in an eponymous 1990 play written by John Guare. Have you ever heard of it? It is fascinating to me.
 
Hope you have a fantastic week wherever you are in the world. Get outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air, will ya?
 
love, susan



 
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. I have heard of the six degrees. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that my husband's ex-wife was married to the son of my grandmother's neighbors. I knew the entire family in Michigan, yet my husband was from Illinois and his wife was from Minnesota. Small world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is only 79* here today. Unheard of for August. But I'm not complaining!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...