Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Lies I Tell Myself: Day 79

This is a friend inspired post. You know who you are. I'm not going to out you here but I want to thank you for your brutal honesty. I am on the same path you are.
 
DAY 79
I started a new eating plan on May 1st. It is working for me and I realize that if I am to get this excess weight off and keep it off, I am going to have to live by this plan the rest of my life. To date, I have shed 17 pounds. This week I have hit a plateau. I've been thinking a lot about the lies I have been telling myself for about 15 years. These lies are often advocated by well-meaning people. Once the words are spoken, they roll around in my brain and all of a sudden these lies become good ideas. I feel like I need to recognize them every time they crop up and smash them right in their tracks.
 
BIG, FAT LIES
  • You can have just one bite of that birthday cake. It's not going to kill you.
  • It's a holiday. It's a party. It's a funeral. It's a wedding. It's a potluck. It's Tuesday.
  • You're almost 60, who are you trying to impress?
  • You're a grandma. Grandmas are supposed to be fluffy.
  • What difference does it make, you're gonna die anyway.
  • Eat the ice cream, life is short.
  • You can get back on the wagon tomorrow.
  • One little bite is not going to kill you.
  • It's no use, you're never going to get this weight off. (This is the worst lie)
  • If you eat slowly, your brain will tell you it's full.
  • I have to eat in between meals, I'm hypoglycemic. I'm going to die if I don't eat right now.
  • It's rude to not eat what is offered to me.
TRUTH IS
  • I have a terrible sugar addiction.
  • I overeat on a regular basis.
  • I do not want to die fat.
I have no idea if I will be able to stay on this path, but I'm no quitter. I have decided to do this one day at a time. I've made some big changes in the last year and a half that have stuck and stayed. There is no reason this won't work for me.
 
What big fat lies do you tell yourself?
 
love, susan
 
 
 
 


7 comments:

  1. "I just need to get past this deadline, then I can worry about what I eat."
    "Nobody cares; why should I?"
    "I'll start again tomorrow / Monday / Next time January 1 falls on a Monday."

    I'm with you, my friend. Sugar is a killer, and I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I manage to Just Say No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I know about myself is that I am all or nothing. I cannot eat just a little sugar. I can't have it any sauces or salad dressings. It flips a switch in my brain and I am unstoppable. I'm the girl who'll take a tablespoon to a bag of brown sugar.

      Never give up. That's my motto!

      Delete
  2. I cant wait to see the new you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels weird to have the plump gone from my cheeks. I also notice my skin is pretty saggy. Feeling great though!

      Delete
  3. Regarding excuses... I recently read a quote, "Once you had a good excuse, you opened the door to bad excuses."

    I started the BLE program on May 30. I've only lost 6 pounds... wait... I take that back. I gained a half a pound this past week, so that makes 5 1/2 pounds I've lost. BUT... I am pleased with that because for the past couple years I couldn't seem to lose weight. I tried a variety of methods with no success and then my doctor said my cortisol was too high and causing the problems. So, yeah, I'll take the 5 1/2 pound weight loss.

    For the past couple years as I struggled to lose weight with absolutely no success, it opened the door to a great big fat lie, "Why bother!" I almost didn't start the BLE plan because of that lie. I had already eliminated sugar (and artificial sweeteners) 16 1/2 years ago. And I had already tried eating only at mealtimes, and eating measured meals. But... I had never tried going without flour, and that seemed to be the key.

    (By the way, when I saw you a year ago, I wouldn't have thought you had 10 pounds to lose, let alone 17!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I have never been more surprised or successful at shedding weight as I have with this. I have had maybe 2 days where my thinking got sideways but I am true believer that 24 hours can make a big difference so I powered through. I am really happy that you got the scales to move. I hope it hasn't been terribly painful for you to give up the flour products. It hasn't been for me except when I want a taco. Today I'm down another 1/2 pound. If I can make the scale budget a half a pound, I'm super happy. I know it's way harder at this age but I also know it is totally doable. I'm doing it. I'm living proof. My goal is to be one pound less than my thin husband. Will I get there? I believe so.

      Good to hear from you Trudy! Perhaps I'll start a new category here with photos of my creative dinners. They might seem odd to others but surprisingly I am finding it really fun to mix it up a bit and see what works. My newest favorite is guacamole plopped half a baked potato, sprinkled with black beans. Pretty tasty!

      Delete
  4. Love this! I tell myself many of those things. Congrats on the 17 pounds!!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...