Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Suddenly Susan

Today is my 53rd birthday.  It's just a number.  I don't really know what it means to be 53 yet.  I'll get back to you on that.

I'm not sure when I became Suddenly Susan. It was one of those gradual things.  You know ... like "The Velveteen Rabbit". Actually, that's exactly how it happened ...........

“What is REAL?" asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand... once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”
Margery Williams, The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real  

14 comments:

  1. Oh to be 53 again... or even anywhere in the fifties.. 59 sounds good now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are paving the way to maturity for me, Gene!

      Delete
  2. happy birthday Susie have a great day my kids are all in their 50,now so I really feel old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Evie, time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it!!

      Delete
  3. To the most beautiful person I know inside and out..HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I feel the same as Gene. Anything in the 50s woould be grrrrrrreat. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quote from Velveteen Rabbit, which I confess I have NEVER read. Needed to hear that one today. I've been struggling with health problems and feeling discouraged, but this reminds me that the people who really matter most love the real me that is beyond my physical limitations. Happy Birthday, Susan. I hope we get a chance to meet up this fall if and when I make it out that way. By the way, I am CREAKING along towards 55 in 15 more days. GEMINIS RULE!!!! XO John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this quote from The Velveteen Rabbit is one I used to read to my son when he was very small. It always choked me up and today it is truer for me than ever.

      If you get out to Oregon, just let us know and we'll come see ya! And, Happy Birthday to ya, in advance!!!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, Susan!! I totally agree with Gene. I'll be 62 in July! Yipee. Get ready Social Security Office - here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew our 50's and 60's would get here so fast???

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to you! I hope your day was just fabulous. When you do figure out what being 53 means, let me know. I'll be 53 in December. Enjoy life, have many adventures, and keep on smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I missed it, Happy Birthday a few days later. I am glad you have had another birthday!!!! you know to me...numbers don't mean much anymore. Love the quote. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's late, but "Happy Birthday!" And may you have many, many more!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...