Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Road Trip to Denver: Epic Stuff That Rocked

I am five days back from an 11 day road trip to Denver. If I don't get this written, it will be lost. As it is, I'm on to the next thing already. Perhaps I'll just leave you with a few takeaways from this epic road trip.GIRLS ROCK There was a time in my life when I would not have even entertained the idea of driving the number of miles (2,200) we did on this trip. When my friend from high school said she'd go on the trip with me, I was all in. We're doin' it, I said. We've been on four other trips together and discovered we are the best of traveling friends, despite my snoring. While renting the car, the sales guy offered us a reasonable answer to the possibility that we'd need a tire changed or a tow for a total of $24.99 and we grabbed it. That alone was the biggest relief for me. I can change a tire but it has been a long time since I had to, and I am not confident I wouldn't screw it up. Luckily, this trip we had no flats. Girls rock because we don't worry about how many times we stop to pee. We just do it. Stretch the legs and air out a bit. When we wanna stop to eat, we don't worry that it will add time to our trip. We're not trying to beat the clock.  SALT LAKE CITY ROCKS A quick stop for lunch with my friend's financial advisor was delightful. We had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory as we sat outside. SLC is one of my favorite cities are far as aesthetics go. It's great for people watching. A nice memory from that day was driving around an underground parking lot at least 10 times looking for a spot to park. On that last go around, we found a spot. My friend was a little anxious (she may have had to pee) but I think it helped her see that I have a lot of patience when it comes to such matters as finding a parking space. I'm like a dog on a bone that way. TWIN FALLS (Idaho) Shoshone Falls are worth seeing. It was not far from the AirBnB we rented. My friend found several marmots to talk to and photograph. We talked to a nice young couple with two kids who are on a one year road trip in lieu of public schooling. How great would be that be? They took a picture for us. GRAND JUNCTION  (Colorado) is high desert country. We didn't have time to see the national historic park there but I sure did love the weather. Warm and dry. DENVER ROCKS We had a little trouble with the maps on the phone and overshot our exit driving into the mile high city but a quick, verbal phone call to my kids gave us good old fashioned directions to their place. Once there, we walked everywhere except to the Denver Botanic Gardens. Denver is made up of neighborhoods and everything we needed was right in the 'hood where the kids currently live. It's a beautiful city and alive with millenials who love great food and dogs. So many dogs. YELLOWSTONE ROCKS My friend and I were happy to be able to check this off our bucket lists but I don't think either one of us will ever go again. The traffic made it a less fun experience. I had been warned about the traffic and it's no joke. No, thank you. PEOPLE ROCK I enjoyed everyone and everything about this adventure. The details are not important. What I want to remember when I read this again is that we had no set agenda about how things were going to go down except for where we were going to sleep next. I love it when people are at ease and don't worry about having to entertain me. We laughed a lot between us. Kathy Crenshaw, if you're reading this, I love you to pieces!
 
In looking back, this road adventure is just what I needed to ease into my retirement life. I had a couple of sleepless nights after my last day of work. I hadn't expected that. This trip was a pattern interruption that I needed for the transition. I have a feeling I'll go back to work sometime ... part-time. But for now, I am enjoying having time to pull weeds, walk my dogs, and enjoy a nap.
 
Life is just one big road trip with lots of stops, if you really think about it.
 
Do you love road trips? Tell me your favorite thing about road driving.
 
love, susan
 
At Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls, Idaho


Susan and Brenda Lanza in Florence, MT (cold that day!)


Grand Tetons in Wyoming


Pinedale, Wyoming (my favorite stay)


Lori Leyba, Kathy Crenshaw, and me.
 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 여기에 나열된 것이 중요하다는 것을 배우고 유용한 웹 페이지에 링크를 제공합니다. 출장마사지

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kıbrıs araç kiralama ve Kıbrıs rent a car şirketi, kiralık minibüs, KKTC Ercan Havalimanı, Lefkoşa, Girne veya otelden araç kiralama için ☎ +90 533 888 2929. kıbrıs kiralık araç

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...