Thursday, July 11, 2019

Dog Language


 
Remi and I are back in dog class again. I'm a self proclaimed dog training groupie. I love everything about going to dog school. Being outside with my canine tops the list. This class is being held at a really nice, shaded park. There is space for us to spread out and not be bothered by other people. We're in a small, beginners "puppy" class. Although Remi is far from being a puppy, we're there to support a friend who is completing studies in dog behavior, and is being trained to be a trainer. Plus, if the truth be known, training your dog is never done. My dogs have all attended training and we use what we've learned every day. The other great thing about going to dog class is the exposure to other dogs. Remi needs that.
 
This week, we learned about dogs reading other dogs' body language. While I was in my back yard taking photos this week, I shot a perfect example of Remi's ear language when she is feeling fearful. You'll note that prior to Abbie walking into her space, her ears were perky and she was just minding her own business, enjoying the sunshine. THEN, Abbie decided to sniff the Remeister. In the 2nd photo, you'll notice Remi's ears are back and almost plastered to her head, indicating she may lose her mind. Oddly enough, Remi just blew it off. Weird. Perhaps she is becoming more tolerant. Typically their fights are over either food or the Kong. We are vigilant about not feeding them together, and the Kong is kept up unless we go outside to throw it. Remi is considered a "reactive" dog.
 
We also learned about "wait" in class this week. Remi and I have been to many classes together and although she knows how to wait, we can use this training for getting in and out of the car. The only time she gets to ride in the car is to dog class or the dog park. I'm going to try to record a video of us walking to the car next week so I can show you how excited she gets.
 
Training is never done.
 
Do you know how to read dog language?
Remi, enjoying a moment in the sun.


Abbie taking a sniff. See Remi's ears? Abbie should know better by
now but she seems to be a slow learner. 
(No dogs were harmed in this exchange. LOL!)

Here is what followed:




And, then there is Missy:


Missy actually gave me the time of day for once. I may or may not
have mentioned a treat to get this look.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...