Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Much To Do About Nothing or Everything


I recently had a nice conversation with a stranger on a FB group I belong to called YOU'RE PROBABLY FROM FAIRBANKS IF YOU CAN REMEMBER ...  Someone posted Remember A&W Drive-In? CJs? Which was better?

Listen, I've forgotten so many things in my almost 60 years since birth but there are some experiences burned in my brain that I can recall as if it were yesterday. Where my boyfriend took me to lunch is one of them. I never forget a good sandwich or boyfriends I  have married.


Step back in time ... when I first started going out with my first husband, he would pick me up for my half-hour lunch and whisk me away in his sexy brown, 4x4 Ford pick up.  I'm sure I loved that truck as much as I loved him. A package deal, really. And, those lunches. He was existing on unemployment checks, living in the basement of his parents' home. That he spent his little amount of income taking me to lunch made it even more special. Luckily, he wasn't unemployed too long because I really loved going to lunch as much then as I do now. I'm not sure he could have afforded me for long. 

I can picture everything about that scene. His curly mop of hair. The sound of that throaty truck, the drive-in where we parked for lunch, the cute waitresses. I think Sandy Miles worked there. If you are from Fairbanks, you knew the Miles girls. Those were good times.

This is much to do about nothing unless you're me. It doesn't take a lot to put me in a melancholy mood these days. I seem to cry at the drop of a hat. Memories have been bubbling up, as they often do in the winter depression that is my regular visitor. It's all good. I don't wallow in it.  As a matter of fact, I've come to enjoy the memories and learned to let them be. I'm just here today to record it.

How about you?  Remember much? 



love, susan



No comments:

Post a Comment

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...