Friday, November 17, 2017

5 Years!

Today I am celebrating 5 years at the same job! Nobody is more surprised than I am that I am still in the same work chair at the county attorney's office. What most don't know about me is that I always have a low level of restlessness and discontent goin' on under the hood. But that has not bled over into my working life for many reasons. Oh, there have been corporate employers where I've moved around a bit because I'm truly a former serial job hopper. I usually get bored out of my mind at about year three. Not now.
 
There is nothing boring about the job I do every day. There are some Fridays when I swear the events of the week have sucked the last ounce of life out of me. Then I wake up Monday morning and can't wait to see what happens when I arrive. Every day is a bit of high drama in the lives of other people. Real life drama. I don't take that lightly.
 
I've heard it said that if you were sitting at table and everyone put their problems down to share, you'd undoubtedly take your own back. That's what this job has done for me. It has given me perspective.
 
I'll admit I am on the jaded side at times but I rarely let that show. Each person who comes to my front desk is unique in that it is often the first time they've every experienced the legal system. I dig that I can be the warm, caring person who helps them to talk to whoever they need to be talking to, and if I can't help in that way, I have a wealth of resources under my belt to point them in the right direction.
 
After all, isn't that what being human is about? Helping others.
 
It's the best gig I've had for a long time. I hope whatever it is you do, that it fills up your cup!
 
love, susan





2 comments:

  1. It seems to be more and more people do not stay long at jobs. Five years is a long time if you are un-happy. And not long at all if you love what you are doing!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to you! I've never lasted longer than three and some change. I've been an artist forever though. And loved freelancing more than homemaking. :) So congrats! I know how it feels.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...