Wednesday, May 20, 2015

10 Things I Would Say If I Gave a Commencement Address

I've been following a blogger Stacey Schneller, who posts up fun prompts for writing. I like this one ... hope you'll follow suit and post one of your own!

10 Things Susan Would Say at a Commencement Address
              1. Remember where you came from.
              2. Network.
              3. Look and listen to people when they are talking to you.
              4. Travel a little before you settle down.
              5. Go off the grid on a regular basis.
              6. Make plans but don't plan the outcome.
              7. If you don't know what you want to do, do something anyway. You'll meet people and have experiences and your purpose will become clear one day.
              8. Minimize.
              9. Call your mom.
              10. Help others.
What would you say?

love, susan


2 comments:

  1. The only other thing that I would add to your list is: Step out of your comfort zone once in a while.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the top of my head I'd suggest:

    1. Get drunk only once if you must; the resulting hangover should be reason enough to remember what a dumb idea getting drunk is. You destroy brain cells too.

    2. Read every chance you get.

    3. Travel as far as your imagination takes you.

    4. Save your money for future trips.

    5. Learn a craft that could earn you a living if you're ever in need of cash.

    6. Learn a foreign language if it's only the basics.

    7. Be kind and honest and try to understand most of what you don't quite understand.

    8. Don't be a fool. No one ever says "I want to fall in love with a fool," or "I want to be a fool when I grow up." And no child ever said, "My mom/dad's a fool."

    9. Believe in something. Even if it's believing rain always falls down.

    10. Learn everything there is to know about yourself. Do this and you will go on to become a master of self.



    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...