Sunday, January 15, 2012

Happy Anniversary, Love You!


On Tuesday, it will be 8 years since Gene and I stood on the bank of the not-so-mighty Colorado River in Laughlin, Nevada to say "I do".

Every year we light-heartedly (is this a real word? spell check thinks not) debate what year it was. I went to my file cabinet and pulled out the marriage certificate to verify this year. Yep, it has been 8 years. Confirmed.

It has been some of the best years of my life and I'll  try to give you just a couple of the million reasons why. I hope my entire blog from beginning to end will document the rest of the story. If you are new to my blog, I hope you'll click on some old posts and have a look-see.  Anyway .....


First, I've never met anyone who loves peppermint candy ice cream as much as I do. I remember the day early in our relationship when we were standing in the freezer section trying to find something we both liked. When I put my hand on that pretty pink box of heaven-in-a-box, his eyes lit up. We both took it as a good sign! 

I discovered I had never really seen the world until I started to see it from the road. Gene loves to drive, camp and just see everything. Turns out, I do too. Read: Wanderlust can lay dormant in anyone. One of our favorite memories is while on a road trip to Alaska, we stopped to stretch our legs at Kluane Lake in Canada. The lake was thawing and we stood on the bank to throw rocks at the half-frozen layer. When the rocks would make the icicles separate and float slowly away into the lake, it made the most magical musical tinkling sound. We stood there for probably an hour, mesmerized by the sound, the blue sky and the vastness of that lake.  Later on, we decided all new couples should take a road trip together to see if they are compatible. One should really know how their partner behaves after spending 500 mile days on the road, sometimes not getting a shower for a day or two. Seriously.  Relationships are not for those faint of heart.

Long story short, we have done more adventuring and fun things in the last 10 years than I could have ever imagined. Every weekend is like a mini-vacation. I can't say I have ever been bored since we've been married.

The photo in this blog was taken recently on our trip to Wenatchee, WA. We stopped for lunch at a local Vietnamese restaurant. It was fantastic!  Who knows? Maybe someday we'll visit Vietnam.  Anything is possible.

Happy Anniversary, Gene!  I heart you!!!


love, susan


 

15 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary to the 2 people that have a forever spot in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary Susan! Glad you found a keep we! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Susan & Gene! You two are one of the reasons I still believe in the institution of marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Susan & Gene! Ride on! Together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple that plays together, stays together! :-)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Gene and Susan, Love you from Mexico! (Rogelio)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! So true about traveling together. I've heard that if a couple wants to make sure they are meant for each other, they should travel across the country together. :) You are an inspiration... I want to do more adventure trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did exactly that. We took a 22,000 mile trip which included Alaska, Canada, a trip across the mid-west to West Virginia, down to the bottom states, allllllll the way thru Texas and home to Arizona. We traveled the entire summer. It was the trip of a lifetime! I hope we'll get to do it again. Next time I will definitely take more photos and journal about it.

      Delete
  7. (P.S.... how did you get your comments section to allow for "reply" ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no idea how this "reply" thing came up. It just appeared on Sunday. I like it!!!

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary to you both! It is so wonderful when the person we were meant to love magically appears in our life! May you have many many more wonderful years together!

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...