Monday, September 19, 2011

Plan of the Day

POD.  That's code for Plan of the Day at my current, temp job. Everyone meets at 6:45 a.m. in the file room for a short meeting to plan what direction we're going as a team. Pretty cool idea, me thinks. Sometimes there isn't any plan but just a few minutes to "check-in" as human beings. 

Week or so ago, one of the women in my office told us at the POD that her brother had received a phone call on Saturday night to get on a plane to Seattle (I think?) because someone had died and they had a set of lungs to transplant to him. I'm sure that wasn't in his plan of the day when he woke up. I checked with her last week and he's recovering famously. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. 

This morning I woke up and decided I needed to start sitting in front of my light box again. For those who don't know me, I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I won't bore you with all the details of SAD except to tell you that it sucks and it's just something I live with and try to manage without medications by sitting in front of a special light box for at least 30 to 45 minutes daily. I think the fact that I slept 12 hours on Friday caused my husband to take his life in his own hands by asking if I had started to sit in front of the light yet.  My reaction was the best indicator that it is time. I got very defensive about it. That's my sign. 

So my plan of the day when I woke this morning at 4:00 a.m. was to clear off my desk and fire that baby up. I got a letter written to my good pen pal in Katy, Texas and then proceeded to hit the treadmill.  It turned out to be a fabulous day.

Do you have a POD when you wake up?  Do tell!

love, susan

1 comment:

  1. I usually prepare a POD in the evening before I go to bed so that I know what direction to turn in the morning. But then I take a few moments in the morning to meditate first thing, and get a "feel" for whether my plan needs "tweaked."

    I understand SAD. I used to have a wonderful "sunrise" alarm clock that had a round dome light that gradually grew brighter and brighter starting 30 minutes before I needed to get up, so by the time the alarm went off (if I wasn't awake already) the light was at full strength. LOVED IT!!

    However, I have not felt the need to use it for years now. Since I eliminated sugar my body wakes up and feels refreshed usually between 4 and 5 a.m. I should get outside more though, and get some sunshine, or daylight. Some days (like today) I am inside all day.

    ReplyDelete

You Made My Day, Dude!

A couple weeks ago while I was driving back to Portland after spending the night on the Oregon coast, we came up on some road construction ...